Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post!

I had a bike 15 years ago; a Honda V65 Magna. It was my fist bike and I sold the it because it was a learning experience and I was on the way to being a new Dad. However, I've ridden quite few motorcycle before and after. I'm missing the short country jaunts and day trips on a motorcycle.

My purchase time line is March- May next year. I'm hoping to catch a deal before warm weather here (South-Central Virginia).

The bikes I prefer are Adventure style because of the comfortable upright rider position. And, I definitely want a integrated windscreen. The other thing is I want to stay in the 500lb ish range. My size is 5'11" 31" inseam.

I'm studying specs a lot and will do some demos soon, especially when I'm ready to bite.

The standouts so far are the:
Suzuki V Strom 650 $6K-$8K
Kawasaki Versys650 $7K-$8K
BMWF700 and 800 used $7K-$8K
a NOS Yamaha Super Tenere $9K(but it's heavy 570lbs). The Yamaha is in a different feature and power "class" than the others.

I've running numbers, insurances and taxes. My self-imposed purchase limit is $9K.

Based on some Cycletrader and dealer info, it appears the new market is so soft that new and NOS bikes can be had for close to used prices except for the BMWs.

I love to hear your insight....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking at Honda NC700X to fill a similar role.
Yes, I read about the new 750 today.
They're nice bikes in the price point. I was looking at slightly more horsepower and there's a lot of new discounted Suzuki's and Kawasaki's around here in the realm of the Honda or less.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I vote for the V Strom, but I'm biased! I love my SFV650 which has basically the same engine. The Yamaha FJ-07 is supposed to be available by your timeframe (early 2016) and might be another great option. I like the NC700X too, but the seat was too tall for me.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Buy what you like...

But why the weight limit?

Once you're moving, the weight really doesn't matter, unless you're doing some serious off roading.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buy what you like...

But why the weight limit?

Once you're moving, the weight really doesn't matter, unless you're doing some serious off roading.
Weight?

You are correct, but I recall being uneasy with heavier bikes when moving/rolling them around. I'm sure it would be a thing I could easily get used to if I bought a heavier bike. The heaviest I've looked at is the Super Tenere but it has a nice low CG.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
What?! No Harley in the list???!!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What?! No Harley in the list???!!!

-Soupy
I hope the following is taken as just my experience and not to offend.

At one time possibly when a cruiser was on my radar. I have soft spot for them, but quite honestly I'm jaded by Harleymania and the rebel wannabe [email protected]$$ status "I" feel is attached to the brand.

My 2 favorite Harleys are the Electaglide and Roadking. I also wanted a Dynaglide Sport once.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I hope the following is taken as just my experience and not to offend.

At one time possibly when a cruiser was on my radar. I have soft spot for them, but quite honestly I'm jaded by Harleymania and the rebel wannabe [email protected]$$ status "I" feel is attached to the brand.

My 2 favorite Harleys are the Electaglide and Roadking. I also wanted a Dynaglide Sport once.
You have a soft spot for a particular bike or two, but you don't want to buy one because of what other people think of them?

Ride your own ride, and don't waste time worrying about what others may think.:wink:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not quite like that. I buy what works for me, I need/want something very utilitarian and functional. I was stating the "emotional" side about my perception of a brand. But since we're still discussing, why was "Harley" specifically mentioned? Why not a Victory, or another "cruiser"? :) I just want to ride what allows me to enjoy the ride.

Thank you for the thoughts and gut check. I did look at Harleys again...just not there for me.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I just want to ride what allows me to enjoy the ride.
That's what I'm encouraging you to do.

You'd have to ask the person that suggested a Harley why they didn't also include another brand. I have my own reasons for riding Harley's over any other bike, but I'm not suggesting you get one. I'm suggesting you ride your own ride and not worry about how anyone else perceives the bike you decide on. :)

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Hey......I just thought I'd comment on the lack of a Harley in the list......what you do, is your business.

-soupy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what I'm encouraging you to do.

You'd have to ask the person that suggested a Harley why they didn't also include another brand. I have my own reasons for riding Harley's over any other bike, but I'm not suggesting you get one. I'm suggesting you ride your own ride and not worry about how anyone else perceives the bike you decide on. :)
Hey......I just thought I'd comment on the lack of a Harley in the list......what you do, is your business.

-soupy
Thank you guys. You are very correct. I shouldn't get hung up on trivial thoughts because it is about the ride/experience. That's what I miss.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Forget actual weight. It doesn't matter. What matters is how heavy it feels. Straddle the bikes you think you like and stand them up off the kickstand. Do they feel heavy? The location of the center of gravity matters a lot more than actual weight. All bikes feel like about the same weight once you are over about 5 MPH although some give more an impression that you are in the bike rather than on the bike. I like a bike with that feel even though my daily rider weighs in at 950 pounds with all fluids. Yes, that is a 9.
You are an inch taller than me with legs 2 inches longer so I know that reach to the ground can be a challenge on some bikes. One I especially liked for how it felt was the 1300cc Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe. It was also a heavy bike at over 800 pounds but lost at least 500 pounds by the time it was going 5 MPH and was pretty darned light right off the kickstand. I don't think they have made them for the last year or two but they are going to be well within your price range.
I ride a Victory but tried hard to stay within your parameters. If you are willing to go heavier the Victory Vegas line, what Vic people call steel frame bikes, is about as light as they get at around 650 pounds. None of them made in the last few years come stock with a windshield so that could also be an issue for your stated preference. After market windshields are available for almost any of their bikes and I just love the Vision that I ride.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oldman47-

I agree and interesting you mention the feel. I went back to my local shop that has a Super Tenere, 578lb, and a V Strom 650 at 100lbs lighter. and did just what you have suggested. The Super Tenere with has almost and inch higher seat height, along with weight needed some effort compared to the ease I felt on cruisers and the V Strom. I've sat on and rode some big cruisers and felt very comfortable about the weight and moving the bike because of the lower height.

If I had been riding all along and were moving right from one bike to the Super Tenere, I'd likely consider it differently, but it's off my list based on my feel, plus it's a little more than what I need. Even being 5'11" (31 inseam) and a "grown man" build :biggrin: the bike feels like a handfull. The only reason I have spent serious attention on it is I like the style and features of the bike for the right rider. I'm just not that rider.

I've decided to use this time to deeply consider what I how I will actually ride the bike.

It seems I'm paring done the list, but I want a responsive if not nimble bike with some good open road manners. There's a few cruisers that meet this as well as the Standard/Adventurers I'm looking at.

I'm getting some great advice here. Thank you.

I just know I'll be on some gravel and fire roads so that has a big influence.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Done

Thank you for the input and helping me be more open minded.

Since I started this thread, I considered a lot of options from Harley to BMW, and a bunch of Japanese bikes. I decided excluding motorcycles without ABS was really dismissing some great motorcycles; especially since there aren't many standard bike options.

Yesterday I made a trip to look around in Greensboro, NC to look at Triumph Bonnevilles and possibly a Honda NC700. I did get to examine both in detail. Seeing yesterday and then riding today was the answer.

In the end I went full circle back to a company that made bikes that I knew as a kid and wanted 18 years ago when I began riding.

2015 Triumph Bonneville T100 at Select Cycles

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Good for you

·
Registered
433 Posts
Are "scrambler" bikes modified cruisers for medium-duty off roading? I've seen some dual-sports that catch my eye for when I'm more skilled but then I see some 'scramblers' that just look like smaller cruisers with knobby tires and some suspension adjustments. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I see some 'scramblers' that just look like smaller cruisers with knobby tires and some suspension adjustments. Am I missing something?
As I'm told and have seen that's how they started. As far as the Triumph Scrambler, I think the largest difference is the raised suspension and exhaust. I'm not quite sure about the Ducati and BMW scramblers.

I looked at scrambler, love the look and concept, but I had pretty much realized I'll be doing little off-road and the T100 will handle what I might want to ride. Another thing about the Triumph Scrambler is the weight. It's on the heavy side for off-road or anything technical I would think unless the rider is pretty skilled.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts