Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out yesterday that my local Triumph dealership is closing after 25 years. Those people are family to me and I feel their pain. It's been in the same family since it started and I guess it was just time. The end of an era......

·
American Legion Rider
21,107 Posts
That is too bad. Not enough of those dealerships to start with. Economics, age or lack of interest murphy?

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Murph. Where's the next closest dealer - Greenville, SC?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hogcowboy...mostly economic. Gary and Jason took it over in I think 97 when Gary's brother had a sudden heart attack and died. They didn't want to see the employees lose their jobs so they stepped in not knowing anything and kept it going. They ended up building a really good business but were always a bit behind the eight ball and trying to compete with the larger well funded stores with a small family business. They will be sorely missed. They are the only dealership I have ever bought a bike from.

Oz, Yeah, Greenville SC or Knoxville TN. There is a shop in Charlotte, but those guys are total jerks and I won't do business with them, same with the shop in Kingsport TN.

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Closing time.

I feel your pain.
My Suzuki dealer closed about one year after I bought Bluzu.
Frank the head guy, and the sweet parts girl, moved up the road to the Honda shop.
Meanwhile a new Yamaha shop opened about 25 miles away, and the parts girl from the big city 60 miles to the south, now works there.

I remember a small Triumph shop in NZ. The repair shop was the biggest area.
Maybe one new bike and three helmets was the inventory, plus a few parts.
Nearer to where I worked was a bigger Triumph dealer, but still very small compared to the bike shops now.

Unkle Crusty*

·
American Legion Rider
21,107 Posts
That's a real shame murph. My dealer is in the same boat. He knows the money is in the major brands of bikes but can't justify bringing in those bikes because the people here can't afford them. He's stuck catering to the ranchers and farmers with ATV's with a very few bikes. He's talking about just closing shop. Just like yours, he's family now and as with you will be surely missed. So like you, I'll be forced to go to the jerks in Dallas or Fort Worth. I'm trying to get ALL my last things from him cause I know it's coming.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I've seen nearby Yamaha dealerships come-and-go throughout the years, heck I don't even know where the nearest 'dedicated' Yamaha dealer is anymore :(

I'm not sure how it works but, it seems the nearby Suzuki dealership is allowing Yamaha to camp at that same store.. so I go there for parts. I always thought it was a sad image for one brand to ride on the coat-tails of another brand.. d'oh well

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sucks when a local trusted dealer closes. Then you have to start over building a relationship with another dealer. Which takes time.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my dealer. They are great to deal with, and I have bought my last two bikes there. Its a small Triumph only dealership, family owned and operated. I guess the entire motorcycle industry is still in a somewhat precarious situation. I live in a city of about 200,000 counting the surrounding small towns, and a few years ago the one and only Honda shop went from seemingly full operation to doors padlocked overnight. I still wonder about folks that had bikes in their busy service area. I had been there just a few days before they closed, and there was not a hint of a problem. I had been a loyal Honda buyer, but then switched to Triumph. Good luck with finding a dealer in your area.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
We'll Murphy, that's two down. The Triumph dealership near me is now a Honda dealership. Sorry to see them go.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
The transition of the Motorcycle industry is both Sad and Interesting, I know here in Knoxville, the Knoxville Harley dealer owner also owns the local Honda,Triumph,Kawasaki,Indian and Victory franchises and I am sure he has more than that, just all I remember off hand.
Asheville is a really nice area! Whenever I go to Weels Thriu Time museum ,I go over the mountain on Blue Ridge parkway to Maggie Valley and then come back to Seymour,TN. through Asheville and back over the mountain on I-40.
Regards
Ed

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The transition of the Motorcycle industry is both Sad and Interesting, I know here in Knoxville, the Knoxville Harley dealer owner also owns the local Honda,Triumph,Kawasaki,Indian and Victory franchises and I am sure he has more than that, just all I remember off hand.
Asheville is a really nice area! Whenever I go to Weels Thriu Time museum ,I go over the mountain on Blue Ridge parkway to Maggie Valley and then come back to Seymour,TN. through Asheville and back over the mountain on I-40.
Regards
Ed
Yeah Ed, It is nice here, but as soon as I can sell my house I'm moving closer to where you are. It's just so expensive to live here anymore. I can still ride here pretty easily. It's not unusual for me to do a 500 mile day anyway and not really go anywhere. I guess I'll have to try the dealership in Knoxville.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Yeah Ed, It is nice here, but as soon as I can sell my house I'm moving closer to where you are. It's just so expensive to live here anymore. I can still ride here pretty easily. It's not unusual for me to do a 500 mile day anyway and not really go anywhere. I guess I'll have to try the dealership in Knoxville.
Sending you a PM
Ed

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Well if these folks are truly like "family" to you......let's hope you can still keep your lines of communication open with them, so that at least you still have that part.

The loss of a Dealership to serve you is a hassle, but you'll work it out.

-Soupy

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well if these folks are truly like "family" to you......let's hope you can still keep your lines of communication open with them, so that at least you still have that part.

The loss of a Dealership to serve you is a hassle, but you'll work it out.

-Soupy
Yeah Soupy, We'll stay in touch, they are really good friends and family to me. I actually had my first ever birthday party at the shop a couple years ago, my girlfriend arranged it with them and they all surprised me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts