Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motorcycles with right-side-up forks: Put a drain plug at the bottom! A hole, screw & washer! When it's time to change fork fluid we won't have to buy a lift, remove the forks, disassemble & turn upside down. Who would have thought of it! Well, everyone did about 30 years ago. I'm willing to cough up a whopping $2 to the cost of the bike for drain plugs in the forks. Just a thought.

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
What the heck kind of bike do you have that you can't drain the forks?? Never heard of such a thing!

·
Visionary
5,278 Posts
I didn't know any did!
I don't think Victory have drain plugs on any of them, a Vision sure doesn't. I'm planning on doing an oil and seal job on mine soon, according to the experts this is a good video for the procedure.

A little more involved than just draining the forks.

What the heck kind of bike do you have that you can't drain the forks?? Never heard of such a thing!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Just about all forks used to have a drain plug for regular scheduled maintenance. Drain the old fluid and put it back in the top of the fork tube.:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
I have owned 15 bikes over the last 50 years, and every last one of them has had drain plugs at the bottom of the forks.
Most of the bikes have been Hondas or BMWs.

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
I have owned 15 bikes over the last 50 years, and every last one of them has had drain plugs at the bottom of the forks.
Most of the bikes have been Hondas or BMWs.
Your 'Wing has a drain? Odd, as my Goldwing Valkyrie does not. That CT-90 may, as it is small and light weight; my old '70 CB450 has them, too. My friend's '08 C90T Boulevard has a bolt in the bottom, but it holds the damper rod, and doesn't drain the oil well at all; same for the '06 VS800/S50 Boulevard I had.

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
Rick, some of the Wings had the drain bolt in the bottom of the fork, above the axle.
The axle has to be removed to access it.
Check and see if yours is like this.
Or ask on the Valkyrie forum.
Valkrieriders.com

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,538 Posts
My Yammie does, but the Springer doesn't :)

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
Rick, some of the Wings had the drain bolt in the bottom of the fork, above the axle.
The axle has to be removed to access it.
Check and see if yours is like this.
Or ask on the Valkyrie forum.
Valkrieriders.com
No drains in any of the GL1500C models. It would be nice, as mine probably needs new oil. I may let the dealer do it this time; those parts are big and heavy. Remove the axle, wheel, calipers, and fender, and then pull the fork tubes, remove the springs, and pour them out. Then, reverse that order.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
My 76 GL1000 has a drain accessible without removing anything, just above the front axle on the side - comes off with a 10mm wrench. Most of my older bikes have them and can be very easily done without any disassembly.

Weird.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Back when bikes had drain plugs in the forks they also had center stands. Some things were just too practical, I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts