Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I finished up some work on my bike, I was in the garage about 4 hours, when I went in it was cold, windy, and dry out.

I finished up what I was doing, took the bike down off the lift, and on a whim decided to take a ride to make sure that all was well. I figured I'd turn the bike around, roll out the door and take a quick ride around the block the way I was dressed, then if all was well come back and get dressed for real ride. I always wear at least a helmet, jacket and boots, but I was only going around the block, it's a quiet neighborhood, right? So I could ride 4 blocks at 20mph in sneakers, Tshirt, and no helmet. right? I should be fine, right? What could possibly go wrong?

I hit the garage door open button on the wall, got on the bike as the door went up, and spent the next 2 minutes making a broken U turn in the garage, by the time I was facing the door it was open, the bike was warmed up, and I was ready to roll. As I rolled out the door I noticed that the ground was wet, oh I guess it must have rained a bit while I was in the garage. No big deal. As I started down the slightly sloped, very smooth, well sealed pavement of my driveway, headed for the street I noticed a few more things in quick succession...

1) I noticed that there was no traffic on the road so I sped up slightly
2) I noticed that the roofs across the street looked sort of funny, almost white and glistening a bit.
3) I noticed that the hedges across the street looked funny, sort of shiny, almost like they were coated with something.
4) I noticed that the driveway looked VERY shiny, almost like it was coated with something...like ICE!
5) I noticed that when I tried to slow down and stop my wheels started sliding, and when I tried to put down my sneakered feet they slipped on the BLACK ICE that was coating my driveway!
6) I noticed that I was in immanent danger of falling down, riding a 900 pound touring motorcycle on ice, wearing only a tshirt, sneakers, and no helmet.

Since stopping on the downhill, smooth driveway wasn't an option I gently kept going, hoping that the rougher street pavement and maybe the passage of some traffic would make for a better surface. I skidded again as I hit the street but the road was better and I gently rode around the block, only skidding a bit when I hit a manhole cover before realizing that I had better avoid them like the plague. As I came around the last corner I started to wonder if I'd make it back up the driveway, I wasn't sure but I figured I might as well give it a shot, the alternative was leaving the bike out in the ice storm. I kept a bit of speed on, made a nice wide turn, hit the driveway as close to 90 degrees as I could and coasted up into the waiting open garage door and dry, warm concrete floor.

If you can't be good, at least be a good example of what not to do :)

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,458 Posts
Man, your story made my hands sweat. Glad you made it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Zip
2,613 Posts
From your title I could kind of guess what was coming but reading the story still sent a chill down my spine. Lots of experience and quick thinking saved you.

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
I had just put the pipes back on the XS400 and adjusted the chain.
My test ride went better than yours. A bit of drizzle, and the bike got dirty from road ****.
Even on a dirt bike with knobby type tyres, it is amazing how quickly they can fall over.

UK

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
Mike, you're nuts! The wise thing would have been not to leave the garage, but.....
...since you didn't see the ice 'til you were already outside.....
I would have turned around where the driveway hit the street!!
Today it's absolutely treacherous over here. Everything is a sheet
of ice....and I mean EVERYTHING!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
If you can't be good, at least be a good example of what not to do :)
I'd say you managed both that time! Well done, sir!

Reactions: mike721

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, you have me thinking..and now that I finally got my welder wired and working ( it only took me a year) I can get back to some fabrication work.....
:cool:

I wonder about you Mike. I guess next you'll be clearing your commute route...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,328 Posts
Mike, you had me on the edge of my recliner and I was sure you were going down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad you didn't my Friend. ATGATT
Sam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts