Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you in here that are Police Officers:

Why is it that Police Departments, issue Half-Helmets, instead of Full-Face helmets to you? Ever ask?

Or, put another way: why is it that most of you wear Half-Helmets, instead of Full-Face helmets?

The PO's that I know and ride with, wear a Half-Helmet on their personal bikes, on their "off" time, but they are not "motorcyclists" on the job, so I can't ask them.

-Soupy

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
My guess would be ease of using radio equipment. If they have to quickly use their radio, they won't have to remove the helmet first.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
They don't have to take a helmet off to write tickets and talk to people.

Their big intimidating sunglasses won't fit inside full face helmets.

Harley riders don't wear full face helmets.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I don't base what gear I wear on what others in the area are wearing. I wear what I feel comfortable and safe in.

I've never been shunned for wearing protective gear, and it wouldn't concern me in the least if I was. :D

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
For those of you in here that are Police Officers:

Why is it that Police Departments, issue Half-Helmets, instead of Full-Face helmets to you? Ever ask?

Or, put another way: why is it that most of you wear Half-Helmets, instead of Full-Face helmets?

The PO's that I know and ride with, wear a Half-Helmet on their personal bikes, on their "off" time, but they are not "motorcyclists" on the job, so I can't ask them.

-Soupy
Good question Soupy. I believe in Europe they wear modulars.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And so far, no PO's have responded.........ah well (lol).

Maybe we don't HAVE any PO's in this Forum?

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
There was a discussion about this a while back.

I think the bottom line was that a half helmet makes it easier for them to do their job.

They do not have to remove the helmet before talking to a person they have pulled over, and then have to put it back on before getting back on their motorcycle - which could take some time and would slow down how fast they could get back on the road case they needed to do so quickly.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I wear a half helmet cause I'm claustrophobic so being in a full face helmet would put me in an instant panic attack. I haven't tried the three quarter helmets. Plus, I found one that the pattern and colors matched my jacket perfectly.

·
So long
2,753 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Never heard of a loner getting shunned, but isn't that what they want? :biggrin:

Back on topic - here's a link to a blog conversation that says it's a department regulation. http://www.motorcycleriderbasics.com/conversation-with-a-motorcycle-cop/
Great read! Thanks!

Here's the most relevant part of that blog:

"Q: How about your safety gear? I see you have a three-quarter helmet, why not wear a full face helmet?

A; Actually I wouldn’t mind a full face helmet but that three-quarter helmet is department regulation. The CHP has done some studies on full face helmets and they are reluctant to standardize on a full face helmet based upon the public’s reaction to this helmet.

Q: Oh, OK, I get it. The CHP does not want the Robocop look?

A: Yes that’s it. have you seen (he mentions a nearby community Police Department) wearing full face helmets with the blue face shield? Those guys really have the Robocop look. but it’s more than just the look that the CHP is concerned about. The attitude is that an open face helmet allows better communication with the public in general."

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I don't base what gear I wear on what others in the area are wearing. I wear what I feel comfortable and safe in.

I've never been shunned for wearing protective gear, and it wouldn't concern me in the least if I was. :D
BOOM.

I was in Richmond, IN yesterday for work and saw one of their guys riding a Can-Am Spyder. He was wearing a 3/4 helmet. I am seeing a lot more 3/4 helmets these days rather than the half helmets. I had never seen a cop on a Can-Am either.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

i agree, your safety is worth more than just looking cool
:71baldboy:

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The question in my OP was geared (no pun intended) more towards what rules are established, and why?

In terms of "Safety," I would think that Police Departments would issue only full-face helmets to their mounted PO's, but apparently (and typically) not so.

That has ramifications and reverberations in the private citizen riding world. Justification for Half-helmets (for visibility) for example.

The "half-helmet" wearer's world, gets a great deal of criticism for their choice, and I don't believe it is fully defensible attack, given the use of "half-helmets" even on the "Force."

So, I thought it worth exploring, what the "Force" says with regard to "why" the "half-helmet" is the protective gear of choice among those who ride "Professionally" on our streets, presumably in situations that can, at some times, be in excessive speeds, and bizarre handling situations.

I've seen, as you probably have too, a variety of videos of competitions between PO Departments, with regard to Motorcycle Handling Skills. It's pretty interesting stuff! I'm impressed with their level of ability on a bike!!

And by the way..........if you say you WOULD "Site" your mother,..........you're a LIAR!! (lol).

-Soupy

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
Spent two weeks in Europe this month, ran into a swarm of LEO's in Berlin, some motorcade of some VIP, went by, and they came out of the woodwork to create a path for them...

All had full, one-piece riding suits, all had modular helmets on. Saw another group in Amsterdam, near Central Station. They all had similar gear: one-piece riding suit, modular helmet.

I understand the desire to have a friendly face visible to the public, as well as open ears to better hear, but the reality is that a half-helmet provides very little head protection in a crash, and without ear plugs, riding at highway speeds (even 55 MPH), the wind noise, alone, is enough to cause permanent hearing loss.

To me, such departmental policies are hazardous to the health of the officers, in several ways. I have the utmost respect for M/C cops, but I detest their gear policies -- they should protect the officers' health and safety, first, and foremost. Their jobs are tough enough, already. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
10,763 Posts
The department I used to work for (20 years ago) had a old EVO Harley. The only extra uniform the department provided for the bike officer was a 1/2 helmet. You were supposed to wear your regular uniform and shoes. The uniform was 100% polyester it would just shrink wrap to you if it got hot at all. The bike did not get much use.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
"They do not have to remove the helmet before talking to a person they have pulled over, and then have to put it back on before getting back on their motorcycle - which could take some time and would slow down how fast they could get back on the road case they needed to do so quickly."

^^^That's a big part of it.

If a cop stops a car, (or bike,) and he's wearing a full faced helmet he is at a disadvantage until he takes that helmet off. He can not hear as well and his periphreal vison is effected. He might miss small, but vital clues that would let him know something is wrong or even that a deadly attack is coming. And if he does take off the helmet he is almost completely vulnerable for a brief second as he pulls it over his head.

If you think that's not enough time for a criminal to react you're mistaken. True, many criminals are lazy, slow, and stupid, but there are those few who are motivated and who train long and hard just to be able to exploit any momentary weakness they discover. A full faced helmet might be safer protective gear in a crash, but I think a half helmet would be far safer from a cop-tactical point of view.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Your hearing is reduced anyway alongside the roadways with traffic whizzing by, so I dont think he'd miss any vital clues. A modular helmet would make more sense than a half helmet.

What amazes me just as much is the fact that most police depts expect their M/C officers to ride wearing blue, short sleeve polyester shirts and lightweight polyester pants.

When I rode, we bought our own helmets and riding boots and wore those ridiculous polyester uniforms. Nothing has changed.

·
American Legion Rider
20,004 Posts
The Wichita Falls motor cops wear black uniforms. I asked one when do they get to change to lighter color. They don't. I thought there was something about cruel and unusual punishment? Oh, that's just for low life prison scum!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts