Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well, I finally took the plunge and decided to get my license here in Quebec, Canada. I didn't pay to renew/change my license when I moved to Quebec from Ontario in the late 90s, so I had to redo the entire process. My brother back home has a VStar he's been holding for me since 2010 so I guess it was time to get my butt in gear and get this done. Sooooo assuming I pass my circuit test in a couple of weeks, it means I will have my probationary road permit, which means I can only drive from x time in the AM to x time in the PM and I have to drive with someone who's had their full license for at least 2 years, and I have to do this for 11 months.

So, my question is, has anyone created a website to help hook up learners with experienced drivers, similar to a dating/hookup site, but for getting to and from work rather than sexytime? I've tried google but I really don't see any kind of online service that would help with this. I would really like to find someone who has a similar route as me (just driving on the main highway from one end of the city to about halfway down) that I could follow along to take my bike to work on a consistent basis as weather permits. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to go about this or should I just park on the side of the road and follow the first bike that happens by? :D

I even checked at my workplace with a workforce of about 1000 people but no one rides from my end of town that has had their license for 2 years or more and/or rides to work.

Would love any ideas or suggested sites.

Dan

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
It sounds like you might have a good idea for a website. If you could come up with a decent way to monetize it, you might become the next Gates or Zuckerman.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like you might have a good idea for a website. If you could come up with a decent way to monetize it, you might become the next Gates or Zuckerman.
LOL I've already done the massive site creation thing and actually sold a fairly large site I founded years ago to be a director where I work now. I'll leave the headaches and misery of a new product launch up to someone else I think lol, I just don't have it in me any more.

Dan

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Come to think of it there is a gathering site out there, I believe it is called "meet-up" or something like that. It's not motorcycle-specific, but I hear some riders find groups through there.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Living and working in Quebec, have you tried visiting one of the French speaking sites? Where you are located the French site is likely to provide you 10 times as many riders in your area as we will.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Faken

suggest that you go about it differently.
it's not like dating or social media.
better that you really know the folks that you ride with.

look around for forums on the Web devoted to your kind of bike.
quite often there are local riders who will speak up on such forums.

do your own rides to some of the local "watering holes" where MC riders meet. I am not talking about hard core biker bars (which mostly dont exist any more anyway). I am talking about places where LOTS of bikes congregate, incl. a lot of sports bike riders. Usually for breakfast or lunch. Find out where those places are located and go there.

finding an experienced rider ... probably one of the MOST important things you could possibly do. but not straightforward. it is more likely to develop over time, and mostly by you doing local rides with groups in your area.

dT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts