Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is a picture somewhere in our photo albums here at the house, of my Dad when he was about 18. Well, it's not the ONLY picture of my Dad at 18, but this one particular one I'm speaking of, shows him standing next to a 1944 something (a Buick?) with the engine well open.

With cuffed jeans, sneakers, and a white T-shirt, he looks like a guy from "the day" who knows his way around an engine.

Truth be told, that can't be farther from the truth. I know he knows how to change the oil in a car, because I've seen him DO it (he, to this day, doesn't know how to change his own OIL FILTER though). He is by no means, a "mechanical" kind of guy. Not by ANY stretch of the imagination.

That said, he is one of those "Academic" types, now 82 years old. College and Seminary Graduate, Degrees, etc..

So yesterday, we celebrated his 60th Wedding Anniversary to my Mother, and I told him I wanted a picture of him on my bike. I guess I was thinking, "you know, I'd never see him in this situation" (being a "biker") so I would LOVE to have another picture of him like that one from when he was a teenager, looking like he knew what he was doing! (lol).

Are there 82 year old "bikers?" Absolutely. Would my father ever be one? Naw. I think he has had a lot of things in his life that he thinks might have been interesting to try (bikes included I think), but I figure he has chalked them up to the "oh well" department in his life.

What REALLY surprised me yesterday, was when I was getting ready to leave from the party, and my MOTHER came out because (as she said) "I wanna hear the pipes!!"

Good gosh,..........my Mom is a BIKER CHICK!? (lol). (I have a picture around here somewhere of her on my FIRST bike. I'll have to see if I can find it!!)

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
My Mom was always ready to hop on the back, her 3 brothers at one time or another rode a bike, her youngest brother was a biker until he had his crash then he never got on another bike. He bought a new Harley every year, he had a rule, if you could start it you could ride it.........his crash came before I was big enough to think about trying.

As far as I know Dad never rode a bike, his oldest and youngest brothers did, his youngest brother died in a plane crash coming home from Pearl Harbor after WWII. His oldest brother quit riding long before I was born.

All my male cousins on both sides are or were bikers, eventually one of us will make it to 80 and still be riding.,,,,,,even if it means riding my wife's scooter up and down the street.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
All my male cousins on both sides are or were bikers, eventually one of us will make it to 80 and still be riding.,,,,,,even if it means riding my wife's scooter up and down the street.
Nothing wrong with riding a scooter. If I can't hold up a motorcycle anymore when I am that old I would still try to get out and a nice 600 cc scooter might be the perfect answer. Once I can no longer even hold up a scooter maybe a trike will be next. Live to ride, ride to live.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Hers is a 200, had her looking at the 300, same style as the SilverWing. Salesman came up and said this is nice, you can get out on the interstate on it and it will do 90........wife jumped off and got on the 200 and asked how fast it will go and the salesman said it it it will do maybe 50.

Nothing wrong with riding anything........however, most likely when it comes time to hang up the mc keys it will probably be time to hang up all the keys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts