Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a rider since the early 1980's when I decided I was not going to wait any longer, and I was already 40 years old. My kids were skeptical (my wife was more than skeptical) but in those early years several of my four children would occasionally ride as a passenger with their old man and they mostly said they enjoyed it. But as they got older, and got their own driver's licenses, only the youngest showed any interest in motor cycles. As a college student he bought himself a bike and for a few years I had the great fortune of having a son that I could ride with. When he was home from school we would ride every so often, and managed to make at least two long trips each summer. But then suddenly he decided he was done with riding, telling me he really had bought a bike just to have some activity to share with his Dad, but that he never really felt safe riding the bike. From then until now, any riding companions that I have had were not family members. Almost 25 years went by, and not only did my grown children not have an interest in riding, they seemed to have passed on to their children, my grandchildren, an impression that motorcycles are just too dangerous to even consider.

As all this was happening, when my youngest son (the one who once was a rider with me) was about 20, we ended up adopting a baby that we had foster parented. He became a real challenge for us in many ways, and never showed the least interest in riding. Now, as a working man of 25 with two kids of his own, suddenly he has developed the urge to ride. He is signing up for the MSF basic class, and in the meantime I am letting him ride my little 150cc scooter while I ride the Goldwing, and we have had some great one hour rides around the area, as I am careful to keep us on roads with no more than a 55 mph posted speed. He absolutely is loving the experience of riding a two wheel motorized vehicle, and says he hopes to have a bike of his own in the next few months.

So once again, after a gap of 25 years, I may have a family riding companion. It is not only great fun to go riding with my youngest son, but I feel honored to be able to teach him what I have learned about safe and fun riding and to hopefully see him develop into a capable rider. And who knows? Maybe the once or twice a summer long trip can again become a reality. What makes this extra sweet is the my riding buddies of many years have all disappeared in the last few years. Death has taken one, two have medical problems that have made them give up their bikes, and one, the youngest, was pressured into selling his bike by his wife when their late in life child entered their lives. So for the last few years I have been riding solo, and now can hopefully look forward to riding a few more years with my son.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
So once again, after a gap of 25 years, I may have a family riding companion. It is not only great fun to go riding with my youngest son, but I feel honored to be able to teach him what I have learned about safe and fun riding and to hopefully see him develop into a capable rider. And who knows? Maybe the once or twice a summer long trip can again become a reality.

So for the last few years I have been riding solo, and now can hopefully look forward to riding a few more years with my son.
That is great to hear! Congrats and enjoy!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I loved reading this. There's not doubt our kids don't always have the same interests in us. I'm getting back into this stuff because my Daughter is interested. But it might be a long haul. She's only 16 and seems to desire to want to ride, but also seems intimidated and I'll probably need help coaching her through the intimidation. I keep wondering what type of bike to get with barely any money to help her get acclimated. Do I just buy a dirt bike to help her get her feet wet? I have three friends with yards we can ride on. But then I'd also need a trailer or hitch trailer thing.

We live in a place where there a lot of slow roads around us with little traffic and maybe a scooter or really small road bike would be good? I don't know. I just hope I can get her going eventually. She's only 16 so there is time. But then my son seems to be interested too. He's 18 but is still working on getting his car license. But he may want to ride some day too.

Right now were all riding bicycles more and liking that but I'm trying to figure out how to break into this game.... with little money. LOL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts