Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks
I'm a 71 year old man with a 19 year old Honda Shadow VT 1100c that I just got running after sitting for a long while because an arthritic hip knocked me out of the saddle. I live in Washington state where the rain keeps us from riding much in the winter, but I'm hoping to get out tomorrow for a bit because I haven't had a chance to do anything but short test rides so far.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Hello Muggs and welcome to the Forum. Glad you finally got your bike running and hope you get a lot of great rides in before the weather gets nasty.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
The best examples I've seen here in the Northeast, of what it means to ride a motorcycle, are the folks over 70.

It says to me that, as long as you are able to control the bike, slow, fast, turns, parking, etc....... keep a'goin!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hay thanks guys It's good to be here.
This is a one year at a time deal for me, getting old sux. Sometimes change happens fast. Right now I'm fine but maybe next year I wont be, as Clint Eastwood said (a mans gotta know his limitations) in other words I know I have to be realistic about it all, the last person I want to hurt is me, the pavement looks really hard and I know I'm breakable.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My uncle rode with us kids until he was about 80, he then had a mild stroke so he had to quit riding, he's now 91 and doing well. I don't expect to ride that long.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you work on your own bike Muggs?
Yeah I'm forced into it, if I didn't I wouldn't ride I have a limited budget, but got the time being retired. Getting this thing ready to ride I cleaned the carbs and replaced the slow jets, changed the oil and coolant, flushed the fuel line, cleaned the gas tank, changed the oil, bought new tires on the net, and mounted and balanced them myself.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Yeah I'm forced into it, if I didn't I wouldn't ride I have a limited budget, but got the time being retired. Getting this thing ready to ride I cleaned the carbs and replaced the slow jets, changed the oil and coolant, flushed the fuel line, cleaned the gas tank, changed the oil, bought new tires on the net, and mounted and balanced them myself.
I hear ya. Well if you need a hand let me know...l would be happy to help you if you need some muscle :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts