Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
And a glove box on the side for your mask.;);)
Well yes, sort of. Fifteen years ago, those trapezoid shaped side boxes used to have much more internal volume available for use. But when RE went to unit construction and added EFI, the complexity of the electronics went from a single fuse to several fuses plus relays and an ECU and a bunch of connectors. Most of that stuff ended up in the left side box, while the right side box was filled up with the air filter and its housing. Only the oval shaped box on the right side is available and that contains the RE issue tool kit, which is fairly complete. I have managed to pack in quite a bit more stuff though, spare clutch cable, a spare sparkplug, a test lamp and clip lead, a 6" vise grips, some baling wire, and so on.

In India they use the RE Bullets as pack mules and some are fitted with large rear racks called a "Ladakh carriers".

·
7,796 Posts
That is one fine looking rack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam:)

·
On The Road Again!
3,419 Posts
That is a GREAT looking rack!
But it looks like the minimum you could buy would be four of them.
You'd need to find three other friends who want 'em.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That is one fine looking rack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is a GREAT looking rack!
That particular stainless version is the just the first link I found to give you the idea, but this general design is widespread (in India), and produced by various makers at various quality levels, more generally in plain carbon steel tubing like this one: Dhe Best LK01 Heavy Luggage Bike Sides ladakh Carriers Black with 5Ltr Petrol Kane Compatible for Royal Enfield Classic Desert Storm: Amazon.in: Car & Motorbike or improvised by garage shops from angle iron or tubing.

I'm not well versed in the use of Amazon, so I'm not sure if this particular rack would be available to us in the USA. I do know that the $4545 rupee price is the equivalent of about $63 US dollars. India is a frugal motorcyclist's dream.

Companies use the single cylinder Bullets for guided group rides up into the Himalayas. Usually, each bike is fitted with one of these Ladakh racks, and each machine will carry one or two auxiliary petrol cans of about 2 gallons each, plus all the riders gear, food, a 1 gallon water jug, etc. The Bullet isn't fast but it can carry its own weight ( about 420lbs) in stuff. It isn't the prettiest looking pack-out, but gets the job done ….

These Ladakh carriers don't seem to be marketed outside of India, I haven't even seen them on Ebay. A much abbreviated form, that is designed to accommodate canvas or sheet metal panniers is sold, and one will see that style on a lot of the "military retro" Royal Enfield imports, of which there are three flavors, army green, army olive, and air force blue. PANNIER FRAMES (SET OF 2), ARMY STYLE, WITH FIXINGS (BLACK) BULLETS + B5 EFI English made

I may or may not have a set of these military pannier racks on the way to me from India right now. Those who purchase off Ebay from India and China will know how much of a crap shoot that can be. This is my 3rd attempt to buy these pannier racks from India via Ebay. If I coughed up the 324 Euros and ordered from Hitchcocks, things would be simple and fast, but I'd rather spend my $56 and be patient. Paypal always covers my butt and shells out a refund, but the process can take months to play out.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts