Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i am currently an student studying my A-Levels. For my context research as part of product design i am required to do research into a context of my choice i have chosen motorcycling, and i was wondering if anyone had any issues whether it is maintenance or safety based, or racing or anything they feel could be solved really, it would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,830 Posts
Modern motorcycles are becoming too complex, and too heavy. Fuel consumption has also increased. Primarily due to weight and wind resistance. But older bikes with the same power and weight, got better fuel mileage. Doing simple things like changing an air filter can be a long job, when it should be simple.
Brakes tyres and suspension have improved. Engine durability has improved.

UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,500 Posts
What Krusty said. I have to pull both saddle bags, and both mufflers to get my rear wheel off.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Because of digital electronics (ECUs, ABS whatever), touch screens, Tupperware (bodies) and other gadgetry, modern bikes are much harder for the average owner to maintain. An oil change that used to take 15-minutes can now be a half-day project due to the bodywork -- changing the induction air-filters, is similar...

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
A lot has been done to increase the visibility of motorcyclists, but people in cars still don't see us. They pull out from side roads and make turns in front of on-coming motorcyclists.

As much progress as there has been, it still happens. Got something to make a motorcycle look like a Mack truck?

·
American Legion Rider
25,902 Posts
As much progress as there has been, it still happens. Got something to make a motorcycle look like a Mack truck?
Motorcycles and scooters blend in to the background. Plus, many many people have trouble judging distance and speed. The people operating huge locomotives see this all the time so how much bigger do you want? They also have discovered that a triangle of lights helps to a degree as well as having one light that moves. Yet there are still car versus train accidents too often. You can have all the right stuff but it's up to you as the operator that has the most input to whether you wreck or not. I use the triangle of lights but also do huge lane position swerves. That move has been dubbed a smidsy, SMIDSY.
Anything you can do to breakout from the background is just one more of the multiple things you can or need to do. But also watch for those subtle signs so fool is about to pull out. I just always assume they will. So I not only watch their eyes, their hands, the car tire/wheel and the big swerve, all that in the blink of an eye and the brakes covered. And hope my guardian angel is flying at 75 to 85mph right along with me. In the end, there is nothing but you and the "other" idiot. Yes, I call myself an idiot for placing myself in such a dangerous position. Like my signature says, "Do everything like your life depends on it, it could".

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I've been doing the swerve ever since I saw that video on here, or youtube or wherever it was. Is it working? I can't remember any close calls right off, but my wife says I need memory pills.

·
American Legion Rider
25,902 Posts
I'm not sure if any statistics have been gathered on the use of this or even how you would go about gathering it. Anything an individual would say would be antidotal at best but I "feel" I have had less near misses since doing it than before. But that could be that forcing yourself to do it also forces you to pay more attention but that's not bad either. I'll continue doing it, provided I ever get a chance to get back on the road again.:D :D :D

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,500 Posts
I have been pulled over more than once for wandering around my lane. When I explain what I am doing the cop usually laughs and says something along the lines of 'well you got my attention'.

Reactions: Retired Guy
1 - 9 of 9 Posts