Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed 9 fantastic days on my 2010 BMW 1200RT.
Day 1 Calgary Alberta, down to St Helena MT.
Day 2 Cut west from St Helena into the mountains to pick up #93 and spent the night in Challis ID. Some great roads and scenery.
Day 3 South to take in the Craters of The Moon National park/monument. Very interesting. Carried on to Ogden Utah for the night.
Day 5 Headed south through Salt lake City, then cut east and found some great quiet roads up into the mountains #31, 10 and 72 which i followed south east to Torrey UT, and spending a great few hours in Capital Reef.
Day 6 The amazing UT Highway 12 over Grand Staircase Escalante and then ending the day gazing over Bryce Canyon.
Day 7 Zip over to Zion National Park, Park the bike and head into the amazing park for some short hikes, and spend the night in Springdale Ut with great views.
Day 8 Left mid afternoon from Springdale down to Las Vegas. My least favorite day, as on major interstate highway for much of the day with heavy truck traffic and stupid insanely strong cross winds. Hit Las Vegas in the evening and was very happy to drop on my bed.
Day 9. Las Vegas to Palm Springs/La Quinta. no desire to spend the day on the interstate, so headed cross country - right across the Mojave Preserve in the early morning hours to avoid the heat. Took Cima Road, Kelso Cima road, and Kelbaker Road. Turned out to be a fascinating ride and day. Safe to do if you keep you speed down and stay alert.

Some of the days were a little warm in Mid September - hit into the low 90's on a few days, and high 90's as I dropped down into the Coachella Valley.

It was a fantastic time, great roads and scenery - and I would do it all over again if i didn't like to take new roads all the time!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts