Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seeing a guy around town who is down on his luck. He is a pretty big guy and he was limping. I asked if his foot was oK,and he said yes,but his shoe had a hole through the heel that made him walk funny.
He does not even have a bike to ride to Goodwill to find a pair and probably not the 5 bucks to get them anyway. He was commiserating to me that it is pretty rare to find shoes big enough to fit,so I had him try mine on and they fit OK.So with feet the same size,at least I could try to find him a bargain pair.

St Vincents had a nice pair of Nikes for a sawbuck, size 15,and they fit me, even though i usually wear a 13 or 14. I kinda hated to give them up,but I figure that I had a car and he did not. You can look for a year and not find a pair of used shoes in my size at the thrift stores--so I kinda think a higher power brought us together ,the shoes and me.

You can tell when someone sincerely appreciated a little gift like that,and that was his gift to me...

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I salute you sir!! We need more kind hearted folks like you that are willing to do something for folks that are truly having a hard time. Many times a little thing will make a big difference in their lives.

My youngest daughter came home from school one cold winter day and asked if her dad had any socks that he didn't like. 3rd or 4th grade I think. Long story short a boy in her class had no socks and some of the other kids were making fun of him, not to mention that it was flippin cold outside. Ended up taking her to Dollar General where we bought him 2 packs of socks and a hoodie. He is still one of her close friends.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Every year I volunteer my time at either a pet shelter, homeless shelter, or soup kitchen...some times more than others.

Best experience ever when a stranger hugs you and says "thank you, you saved me". Makes me choke up every time I remember that...and all I did was give him a hoodie and a bowl of soup with a pat in the back.

The pet shelter is the hardest...I wanna take them all home every time...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
This world would be such a better place if everyone in the world did one act of kindness a day. I've given money to the homeless on the streets before. I really don't care if it goes to booze/drugs instead of food. It still makes me feel like a caring compassionate human being. And every single one of us could be put in the same position at any given time. It only takes one severe illness to wipe out all funds. I remember when my dad almost had to sell the house to pay for mom's cancer treatments.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
I think the bet I have ever done for those in need was when me and a friend cooked Thanksgiving dinners for the residents of a children's homeless shelter up in Bangor. So many kids that do not have a thing in this world, and her and I decided someone needed to let them know that people do care about them.

·
So long
2,753 Posts
Next time I hear "big shoes to fill" I'll smile and think of you, Slum, and that guy you helped.

Thanks for the post. My hat's off to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts