Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering. How many riders here actually are putting their foot down at stop signs. Police can write a biker up, or pull him over, if you don't actually come to a complete stop and put your foot down at stop signs here. Is this a common practice every were? I'm fairly sure it is but it would be interesting to know.

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
A complete stop is a complete stop. A foot down is many officer's standard of judgement. On the big scale of enforcement I think context could be the defining issue. Where are you thinking of doing it? The less congested more rural the situation may create a more permissive view.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I only put a foot down if I see cross traffic. Otherwise I just stop and go. Yes I stop completely but who can't balance for a whole second when standing still? If I am cited for failure to stop I will see them in court. BS is BS.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I only put a foot down if I see cross traffic. Otherwise I just stop and go. Yes I stop completely but who can't balance for a whole second when standing still? If I am cited for failure to stop I will see them in court. BS is BS.
Like the Oldman said...
Ditto.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
johnny ... has been discussed on another thread. see the Safety thread.

I put BOTH feet down always. theres a good reason.
the issue isn't primarily about coming to a complete stop.
that's a very good idea - and it may save you an expensive traffic ticket.

but on a bike ... its about staying alive.
riding 2 wheels is not like driving on 4. we play in a game where we can make NO serious mistakes. our first big mistake is usually our last.

when you put your left foot down ... LOOK LEFT.
when you put your right foot down ... LOOK RIGHT.
the process guarantees that you really do look, and you don't shoot thru the intersection with only a half-glance at cross-traffic.

cheers,
dT

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Yep, "it's the Law" to do so............

Do I do it? Not always.........

but "CaptCrashIdaho" is correct in that it really depends on the situation you are in.

If I'm out on a back country road, with full visibility in all directions, (meaning no obstructions that will affect my ability to see what's coming from anywhere), and there are no "cops" in sight........I'll probably NOT put a foot (or two) down, at that stop.

There IS (for example), on my route to work, ONE particular intersection (I take mostly secondary back roads with typically minimal traffic) where the angle of approach is extreme enough to warrant a full stop, and I do so, no matter what. It's a "left turn" for me, with no stop sign for oncoming traffic from my right OR left. The "left" side is clear to see, but the "right" side requires a full 90º turn of the head and at LEAST a five second observation.

Trying to make a left turn there, with my head turned far right for at least five seconds, is not a good scenario for successfully negotiating a left hand turn. So "stopping" with "feet down" is imperative.

-Soupy

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
double post...........sorry

..........what the heck's wrong with the forum today??????? That's the SECOND time that's happened today!!

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
18,653 Posts
I do have a "bad habit" of squeezing the front brake hard for a solid stop, quickly look and proceed. I'm trying to stop that but it isn't easy. Bad habits aren't. Started doing it just to prove to myself I could and could balance the huge machine. The challenge is/was over now. Time to actually put feet down. Although I'll be doing it for awhile as I get my road legs back from my last surgery.:D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Foot down most of the time, two feet down for longer stops. Once in a great while I do a "rolling stop" with no foot down, but only at a low traffic three way stop. I try not to do this but found myself doing it yesterday. :mad: I am upset by doing this as I try to be safer than that.

·
"Young Grasshopper"
351 Posts
I do have a "bad habit" of squeezing the front brake hard for a solid stop, quickly look and proceed. I'm trying to stop that but it isn't easy. Bad habits aren't. Started doing it just to prove to myself I could and could balance the huge machine. The challenge is/was over now. Time to actually put feet down. Although I'll be doing it for awhile as I get my road legs back from my last surgery.:D
It takes like 27 days to break a habit. ;)

·
American Legion Rider
18,653 Posts
Took me 30 years to stop smoking kiddo. At your age you don't really know what a bad habit is. Sorry. Clinical stats are not reality.

·
American Legion Rider
18,653 Posts
I like them too Oz. Chance to balance 800 pounds without foot down. I'm trying to stop it!:D

·
So long
2,753 Posts
Hog, I know what you mean about that bad habit with the front brake. I see lots of heavyweight bikes pogo the front fork when they come to a stop.

The pogo can be minimized by relying more on the back brake in the final few feet before the stop.

It also reduces the risk of washing out the front on gravel.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Oz, it is not just about a front wheel wash out on gravel. When I rode my HD the front would wash out under me at maybe 10 MPH or even less. The darned thing seemed to be programmed to fail me. I really think it had more to do with geometry than what brake I was using. The HD simply did not respond well to any front brake use and felt like it wanted to fold the front wheel under any time I used it. Not every bike responds that way but my HDs certainly did.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
In California the local cops love to write tickets for failure to stop at a stop sign if you don't put your foot down. I haven't been popped for it but have friends that have.

Do I always come to a complete stop. Well, ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts