Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess part of getting old is that simple ailments are not only worse than they were when I was younger but take a lot longer to recover from. Last summer, just prior to leaving for a 6 week road trip, I came down with a really bad cold and cough. My doc said it appeared to be viral and I just had to wait it out. Even with codeine based cough medicine I got very little sleep for about a month until the nighttime cough went away. Now here it is January and I caught the same type of cold from my wife who got it from her sister apparently. Being together in the three day ride home was enough to make me sick as a dog. Now I just sitting around feeling like crap, coughing my brains out at night, and wondering if this cold will also take a month or so to pass. Its still better than sleeping under six feet of cold dirt, but what a miserable way to spend my "golden years". At least I'm not missing out on riding time, as it is 9 degrees today here in northern Illinois and freezing rain and snow predicted for the next few days.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sounds like it will be a while before you can test out those new boots! I agree, things hit us harder and last longer than it did years ago. This retirement age isn't everything it was cracked up to be when I was younger. But as you say it is still better than getting planted or burned, so I'll go on keeping the suffering to myself (well...except in this reply!) and enjoy what I can, like tomorrow I'll be headed out for an overnight bike trip to test demo some new bikes....yippeee! Hope you get well soon.

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Hey Vito, sorry your feeling bad.
Cold here also, a lot of people around here are sick. Hope your better soon

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Miserable right now.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After two weeks I was seemingly fully over that bad cold, and then wham, a relapse which seems worse than the first time. Feel really badly, and will call my doc if I feel this way or worse in the morning. Just hoping I can avoid needing to go to the ER tonight, or worse, having to call an ambulance. No fever, just a runny nose and about the worst cough I can ever recall having.

·
6,588 Posts
Vito, there is an epidemic of the common cold and Flu going around and so many Folks have it right now it's amazing.

My Wife, Youngest Son and myself have had it starting a week ago and we still have it: Nose running like a faucet, a deep cough bordering on Pneumonia like and a mild Sinus infection, all terribly exacerbated at night! No fever though--thank GOD :)

Sam

·
American Legion Rider
19,010 Posts
Have they proved if that coronvirus is an escaped chemical weapon? That was my first thought when I heard about it.

·
6,588 Posts
Larry, I had the same thoughts that maybe it was a 'Biological warfare' attack from China in retaliation for trade restrictions!

You may say that no civilized entity would do that but I direct you to when this happened in the United States to the indigenous Indian tribes. From Wikipedia:

The Native American population was devastated after contact with the Old World by introduction of many fatal diseases. In a well documented case of germ warfare involving British commander Jeffery Amherst and Swiss-British officer Colonel Henry Bouquet, their correspondence included a proposal and agreement to give smallpox-infected blankets to Indians in order to "Extirpate this Execrable Race". During the siege of Fort Pitt late in the French and Indian War, as recorded in his journal by sundries trader and militia Captain, William Trent, on June 24, 1763, dignitaries from the Delaware tribe met with Fort Pitt officials, warned them of "great numbers of Indians" coming to attack the fort, and pleaded with them to leave the fort while there was still time. The commander of the fort refused to abandon the fort. Instead, the British gave as gifts two blankets, one silk handkerchief and one linen from the smallpox hospital to two Delaware Indian dignitaries.[133] A devastating smallpox epidemic plagued Native American tribes in the Ohio Valley and Great Lakes area through 1763 and 1764, but the effectiveness of individual instances of biological warfare remains unknown. After extensive review of surviving documentary evidence, historian Francis Jennings concluded that the attempt at biological warfare was "unquestionably effective at Fort Pitt".[134] Smallpox after Pontiac's Rebellion killed 400,000–500,000 (possibly even up to 1.5 million) Native Americans

Sam

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
26 days ago I started this thread and still feel pretty crappy. I was finally getting over the flu and woke up to a horrendous toothache. Now I'm on antibiotics for the tooth infection and pain meds for the misery. A few days from now I get the tooth removed and then begin the longer process to get an implant, for which I get the privilege of paying $4,000 to fix.If I hadn't already lost the molar next to this bad molar I would forego it, but having two missing molars on one side is not how I want to live the rest of my life. Whoever said "growing old is not for sissies" knew what they were talking about. The only saving grace is that the weather is also crap so my illness is not causing me to miss out on any good riding days.

·
6,588 Posts
My cold or flu or whatever it was lasted at least 2 weeks, which is a week longer than it ever has. New to me and something I never get was a sore throat and a voice that changed dramatically. Sorta got a minor sinus infection and my cough was sometime horrendous! Then it just went away over night:)

Amazing that since the beginning of time, man hasn't found a cure for the common cold or flu!

Hope you feel better Vito--riding season is just around the corner:)

Sam

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When an illness like this lingers on and on it gets really discouraging. I have started to feel like this is my new normal. Years ago when I worked as a Nursing Home Administrator I met a number of seniors that would state that their quality of life was so poor it was no longer worth living. I remember thinking that they just needed to be more positive. One woman had an inner ear problem which made her perpetually dizzy. Another resident I recall was nauseous, 24/7 and there were no meds that seemed to work for him. One very elderly man, about 95, told me he just felt body aches and weakness all the time, and this had just zapped his desire to live. I'm not at that stage but I am a bit more understanding about this now than I was when I was 20 years younger and living a more vigorous life. But hopefully for me this too will pass and at some point I will be back on the road. Thanks for the positive thoughts.

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
A guy from WHO has said it is possible for the latest virus to reach 60% of the worlds population, with a 1% death rate.
Yikes. However 60% of folks are in India, China and SE Asia. We all might have to move to Stewart Island.
Maybe we will have to start screening at the ferry dock.

UK

1 - 14 of 14 Posts