Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
The specs are missing some crucial numbers such as BHP and Torque. Without knowing those numbers and seeing the power curve I would go with no. Typically an inline 4 will produce gobs of horsepower combined with a twitchy powerband that can easily get a new rider in serious trouble seriously fast.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Honestly I would never recommend any NEW bike as a good starter bike,, that 1st year of learning to ride will be interesting enough and probably the bike may even topple over once or twice wether it's while parked & fallen over off a badly placed kickstand, or coming to a stop on a slight hill or you hit a bit of gravel. Do you really want to scratch up a shiney new expensive bike?

Buy an older/cheaper/weaker/lighter USED bike to learn on, then later trade it in on the bike you REALLY want. If you're a good shopper you may be able to sell it for what you bought it for.. but even if you lose a few $100 from what you bought it for, consider that to be CHEAP rent.

Having said that, I also wouldn't recommend even a used Honda CBR6xx as a good beginner bike for most riders. Way too much power, and a throttle response that WILL catch you by surprise when you least expect it.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
l think you are way better off to use that bike as a goal...start with a CBR250 or a Ninja 250 with the goal of learning to ride, and then rewarding yourself down the road when you are ready. Buying too much bike really sets yourself up for failure.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If you are aware of your limitations and are a quick learner and have a more experienced rider that can answer questions and/or ride with you, there is NO reason not to get that bike as your first bike.

So many people are terrified that you will pull too hard on the throttle and take off for the emergency room -- which is complete BS for a careful, intelligent person who has a modicum of humility.

If you are seriously considering that bike now, you will regret getting less within one year.

Just do not drink and wear your helmet!

:71baldboy:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I don't know, man...if a guy has never ridden a bike before, do you really endorse him jumping on top of 100 horsepower? Personally, l see a Yamaha FJ in my future, but l thought better of it since l just got back on a bike after 20 years in the dirt. Could l ride an FJ1200? I'm sure l could. But l wanted to start with a bike that was more forgiving, and would allow me to become a better rider in the next year without worrying about how much power was underneath me. And, like someone pointed out to me, it isn't likely to be his longterm bike, anyway. Just my $.02

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I am going to agree with Nordicman. All of that tupperware is very expensive to replace and a new rider is likely to drop the bike at least once. I would suggest a used "standard" bike as a first bike to hold down the costs to something reasonable. Once you are confident in your riding skill is plenty soon enough to get a sport style bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oldman 47 you are right and you are wrong. I have been riding all kinds of bikes for years and i dropped my cbr650f twice.The weight and conditions

have alot to do with keeping your bike up.Where i live we get a black mold on the roads once a year and it's slippery more than ice.I even came down

on my cbr250r during the mold month,so there are alot of factors when you look at buying your first bike.A cbr250r would be a great start!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts