Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to keep my N+1 count to equal 5, but I keep finding these tantalizing deals!

Another bike followed me home tonight. This is a 1979 Kawasaki KE100. This bike was stored in a barn for who knows how long. Amazingly I'm actually the second owner of this bike. I was given the original title. The bike was first titled to a woman in 82, rode 3k miles, then lived the rest of its life in a barn ever since. I now own one bike from each of the Japanese big 4!

The tank is in immaculate condition. It's been creamed and looks better than new. The outside can be touched up and would also look new.

The engine turns over but is missing a spark plugs and the carburetor cover is completely missing. And uh, don't ask about the tyres.

This is the first bike I've purchased that is actually light enough to roll up the stairs to my condo. Part of why I got it is to restart my YouTube channel. I'm inspired by our very own Aphrodite and Traveling Tall. Unlike my other bikes, I actually want to run through most of the bike to restomod it. End result should be like a cafe racer but without decimating the frame to get there.

Now I'm REALLY at peak motorcycle. Any more and I simply won't have a place to store them.

Reactions: Jo6pak

·
Premium Member
10,051 Posts
They were good small trail bikes. Note what appears to be a 3.25 X 21 on the front, and a 4.25 X 18 on the rear. Might be a rotary disc motor. Does the throttle cable go to the right hand side of the crank, rather than behind the cylinder. Easy to pull the head and peek inside. Lift the barrel while you are at it. Bung in some new rings and a couple of gaskets, and putt putt. With the cylinder off you can check the con rod and crank.

UK

·
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welp, I'm not actually strong enough to carry it up a flight of stairs. I may ask a friend for help. It'll only be in the condo during my fixing it.

Playing around with it in the dark, appears that all gears work and the engine has good compression.

The spark plug is actually there, but it's pretty weathered. Likewise, the throttle cable is unusable. Looks like it won't take much to get it running! Unlike my Yamaha DT175, I'll keep it trail ready instead of turning it into a motard.

·
Visionary
5,407 Posts
How do you keep finding these deals? I’m getting jealous here, I really want to find a project bike to work on in my new shop but everything I find is either a total basket case that needs every single part replaced. or else the owner believes that under the rust and dirt it’s made of solid gold. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I keep finding them in Wisconsin! People in Illinois want a grand for a bike that hasn't run in a decade and doesn't have a title. Meanwhile, if you go across the border you'll find tons of awesome bikes for cheap. Earlier in the summer I even saw a running and riding CB900 (with a title) for $650. Only thing wrong with it is that the owner modified it to look something like an adventure bike...but since those were just bolt on mods reverting to stock wouldn't have been hard. This particular barn find was for $300. :)

·
Visionary
5,407 Posts
Sellers in Pennsylvania clearly need to learn from their counterparts in Wisconsin, and forget about New Jersey, nothings cheap there.
I may need to do a road trip.

I keep finding them in Wisconsin! People in Illinois want a grand for a bike that hasn't run in a decade and doesn't have a title. Meanwhile, if you go across the border you'll find tons of awesome bikes for cheap. Earlier in the summer I even saw a running and riding CB900 (with a title) for $650. Only thing wrong with it is that the owner modified it to look something like an adventure bike...but since those were just bolt on mods reverting to stock wouldn't have been hard. This particular barn find was for $300. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Miss Mercedes

·
Registered
9 Posts
As a pre-teen , I wanted one of those to ride around our farm and down the country roads. Didn't get it though, not enough money saved up. Traded my well used DS-80 for a slightly used TS-185. Wish I had that one back for a project bike. Similar to the one you got, but I've always been partial to the Suzi's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again all! :) And no worries, I only like to abuse my Chinese bikes. We're going to preserve all of the original parts and the cafe racer changes will be mild bolt on stuff so they could be removed. Most parts are in fantastic original condition. It'll definitely need new rubber as it's all beyond dry rotted. I also think we may need to convert to 12V but we may be able to clean it up enough to preserve that, too. The tank is in good enough condition to pull the dent then seal the paint.

Meanwhile, after a lot of consideration I'm getting rid of that Chinese Ruckus clone. I kept wanting to engine swap it but eh, I'll save an engine swap for another project. I've already cleaned it up and got it running long ago so it should be a decent flip come spring.

·
Hero's are Remembered, Legends Never Die
307 Posts
I'm trying to keep my N+1 count to equal 5, but I keep finding these tantalizing deals!

Another bike followed me home tonight. This is a 1979 Kawasaki KE100. This bike was stored in a barn for who knows how long. Amazingly I'm actually the second owner of this bike. I was given the original title. The bike was first titled to a woman in 82, rode 3k miles, then lived the rest of its life in a barn ever since. I now own one bike from each of the Japanese big 4!

The tank is in immaculate condition. It's been creamed and looks better than new. The outside can be touched up and would also look new.

The engine turns over but is missing a spark plugs and the carburetor cover is completely missing. And uh, don't ask about the tyres.

This is the first bike I've purchased that is actually light enough to roll up the stairs to my condo. Part of why I got it is to restart my YouTube channel. I'm inspired by our very own Aphrodite and Traveling Tall. Unlike my other bikes, I actually want to run through most of the bike to restomod it. End result should be like a cafe racer but without decimating the frame to get there.

Now I'm REALLY at peak motorcycle. Any more and I simply won't have a place to store them.
I know the feeling, Growing up my first street legal bike was a 1980 Suzuki TS185, about 10 years ago, Barn find, a complete 1980 TS100, with 389 original miles for $300. Tires shot... I got it together with new tires and running, them placed it on a shelf in my garage where it has been sitting every since...

·
On The Road Again!
4,341 Posts
Mine wasn't a barn find, but more of a "Garage Find".
I was painting a customer's garage and saw a blanket covering something in the corner. My customer saw me looking under the blanket and said, "Do you want it? I don't use it anymore".
Did I want it??? HECK YES!!!
He gave it to me, FREE!
It took a bit to get it running again, but I've managed to put over 5,000 miles on it since then.
I'm now the second owner of a 1977 Honda Trail 90.
...and I've added a few accessories to it, like home made saddlebags, LED lights and few other odds and ends.

P.S. The best part was after I got it running again.
He hadn't run it or ridden it in many years.
Once it was running, I rode it back to his house, handed him my helmet
and told him, "Here, take your bike for a ride."
He was grinning ear to ear to see it running and to get to ride it again.

Attachments

·
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oooh that looks so good! :D That paint even looks original!

Kicked off the restore on the KE100 today. First thing's first, I ordered a new carb, throttle cable, and carb cover. Considering the tank is super clean I just want to hear it run first, then I'll double back around and clean it up.

·
On The Road Again!
4,341 Posts
Oooh that looks so good! :D That paint even looks original!
That paint IS original. He took good care of it. It was stored in a heated, dry
garage under a blanket. It needed very little in the way of cosmetics.
The gas tank was rusty inside and the battery was LONG since dead.
It needed new tires and some light bulbs, but for the most part it was
and still is in great shape. Starts easily and runs great.
And I've kept it as original as possible. Any changes I've made are
easily reversible to bring it back to stock.
The biggest changes I've made are to the primitive electrical system.
A modern rectifier and home made voltage regulator made a huge
improvement to the reliability of the bike.

·
Banned
4 Posts
The tank is in immaculate condition

1 - 20 of 25 Posts