Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
23,125 Posts
I will start watching George Carlin on YouTube to get a better understanding.
You still might not get the humor because his stuff is/was more or less time sensitive. In other words, today it isn’t as funny because the PC police have made everything not right that you can’t say anything without offending somebody.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You still might not get the humor because his stuff is/was more or less time sensitive. In other words, today it isn’t as funny because the PC police have made everything not right that you can’t say anything without offending somebody.
All right, thanks. I think I get what you mean. A lot of old comedy movies-shows would be offending for today's "standards". Maybe even "The Benny Hill Show" could probably be considered offensive to women today.

·
Registered
97 CBR900RR, 98 GL1500C, 98 VFR800, 05 VTX1800
362 Posts
yes, those stupid PC police who get offended when we do things like make jokes about different races or cultures, express an idea contrary to theirs, support speech we disagree with or kneel for an anthem.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
2,360 Posts
Politically correct...

·
Secret Agent
2,360 Posts
Political correctness is a term used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society

According to wikipedia. In others words, don't speak your mind for fear of offending someone. Although, I speak my mind, and I don't care who gets offended.

·
Shadow Moderator
1,166 Posts
They're not an actual police force. Political correctness means avoiding saying certain words and phrases, and avoiding expressing certain opinions that are deemed to be improper. One of the earliest instances of political correctness I can recall is the effort to replace he/him/his pronouns with they/their. Or with she/her/hers.

The PC police are those self-appointed self-righteous zealots who take every opportunity to pounce on those who violate the "rules".

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok, thanks for the answers, I understand your point.
I was born in 1973. When I was young, things were looser. I understand that nowadays we experience the "revenge" of those who were constantly "offended" by society in those old days.
But, do you believe there is a secret elite that wants to manipulate people and make us weak by imposing to society "politically correct" rules of living?

·
Secret Agent
2,360 Posts
No, they're certainly not secret about it. They started out as democrats, evolved in to liberals and are full fledged radical leftists now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
No, they're certainly not secret about it. They started out as democrats, evolved in to liberals and are full fledged radical leftists now.
Yep, I see...like our ex-government. The "Syriza" left party that governed Greece from 2015 to 2019. Alexis Tsipras (ex-prime minister) is their leader. The worst years in modern Greek history.
Antinationalists, gay supporters and all these modern cultures...anyway...I don't even want to remember those 5 years.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,949 Posts
You are correct using Benny Hill as in example, in today's society the show is politically incorrect. I think it is very funny but then again I am not politically correct.

·
Secret Agent
2,360 Posts
You are correct using Benny Hill as in example, in today's society the show is politically incorrect. I think it is very funny but then again I am not politically correct.

Critter ain't lying. He told me I wasn't important yesterday... I'm still trying to recover.

·
13,949 Posts
Straighten out that bent metal in your shop and you will be important to someone.

·
Secret Agent
2,360 Posts
Actually, I had to get approval from customer to accept a reconditioned wheel. As I suspected, he saw what I saw, a bad color match. So now I'm waiting in insurance to either force another two week wait on yet another reconditioned wheel, or authorize a new oem wheels, which is what I originally estimated.

Auto insurance has gone down hill over the past ~5 years in my experience, and with the covid excuse for parts delays and adjusters working from home, only communicating through email, I gave up awhile back on any timely insurance repairs. My customers know this up front.

I could get it done in a day, but I suspect I'm still insignificant 😭😤

·
American Legion Rider
23,125 Posts
Thanks for jumping in guys. I was busy getting my foot looked at AGAIN. Minor surgery but off feet until Saturday. Just when the weather here turned beautiful.

·
Premium Member
8,657 Posts
Benny Hill is a good example of what the PC would get upset about. Same with Spike Milligan and many others.
Carlin is like the sixties and before video cameras. If you were not there you missed it.
Imagine how boring I could be if there were videos of the things I have done.
We surfed, and raced, and did stuff for ourselves. Not for anyone else or the movies.
Showing off, or doing a hollywood ( NZ slang ) was about the event there and then. And meant only for those in attendance, and BS stories later. I probably have mentioned the time I cart wheeled in to the trees. Was second for a very brief period of time. Sorry, no movies.
I have a pic here somewhere of a sign that says, No Tipping. Was next to Bamburgh Castle. What does that mean. UK

·
13,949 Posts
Thanks for jumping in guys. I was busy getting my foot looked at AGAIN. Minor surgery but off feet until Saturday. Just when the weather here turned beautiful.
Sorry you had to go under the knife again. Hope that this one takes care of it.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
THIS is why political correctness has ruined the world and will continue to do so. No one can simply poke fun at anyone or anything, everything is taken so literally, and even if it's true, "YOU CAN'T SAY THAT!!!"

What George Carlin said was absolutely true. The planet is fine. We're all phuqued.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts