Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Suzuki Intruder 1500VL, 05 turbo Subaru legacy
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been having a problem with my electrical, unfortunately took it to a shop they ****ed it up and still charged me. I've been through 5 solenoids, 2 starters, 4 batteries and the stator/rectifier replacement. Now when I hook up the battery no key in, the starter starts trying to spin the motor and doesn't disengage. Haven't found any broken wires ground are good switches are good. Last thing I can think of is the actual key ignition might be shorted but after that I'm at a loss. Want one have any advice before I burn it down?

·
Shadow Moderator
1,613 Posts
Some electrical connection somewhere is stuck closed when it should be open. The trick is to find the stuck connection. That's probably going to be on one of three places: 1) the starter solenoid, 2) the starter button, or 3) the wiring between the starter button and the solenoid.

To test the solenoid, unplug the connector from the solenoid that has the small wires. If the starter stops turning, then the problem is in your starter button or wiring. If the starter keeps turning, the problem is in the solenoid.

Take it from there.

·
Shadow Moderator
1,613 Posts
It's hard to believe that a shop would "fix" a motorcycle and return it to you in that condition. How was it acting when you got it back from the shop?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some electrical connection somewhere is stuck closed when it should be open. The trick is to find the stuck connection. That's probably going to be on one of three places: 1) the starter solenoid, 2) the starter button, or 3) the wiring between the starter button and the solenoid.

To test the solenoid, unplug the connector from the solenoid that has the small wires. If the starter stops turning, then the problem is in your starter button or wiring. If the starter keeps turning, the problem is in the solenoid.

Take it from there.
[/QUOT
Said

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've checked the solenoid like that and the switch. Both shut it down once disconnected, so I'm guessing from there would be the writing from switch to solenoid?

·
Shadow Moderator
1,613 Posts
I've checked the solenoid like that and the switch. Both shut it down once disconnected, so I'm guessing from there would be the writing from switch to solenoid?
You say, "and the switch". By that do you mean you've unplugged the wires from the starter switch? And when you do that the starter shuts down? If that's the case, then I'd blame the switch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's hard to believe that a shop would "fix" a motorcycle and return it to you in that condition. How was it acting when you got it back from the shop?
Oh the shop it went to was at one point a very reputable place, old owner very good and one what he was doing. Sold it, retired. New guy is passing himself off as an employee of said old owner and that guy is still there. So behold the ****ery, went for a carb rebuild got a bill for a solenoid(cheap amazon one billed at factory replacement price), gel battery( amazon AGM one) and my carb work. Oh and he messed with my ground and positive wires he said. Since then bike hasn't been the same

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You say, "and the switch". By that do you mean you've unplugged the wires from the starter switch? And when you do that the starter shuts down? If that's the case, then I'd blame the switch.
Really? I thought it was if it shut down it was good. But you think I should place or try to clean contacts

·
Shadow Moderator
1,613 Posts
If you plug in the wiring to the starter switch and the starter starts spinning without you pressing the button, it means the switch is stuck. It's acting like you're holding the button when really you're not.

Try shooting some WD-40 into it and tapping it a bit to see if you can get it freed up. If that doesn't work, look for a replacement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you plug in the wiring to the starter switch and the starter starts spinning without you pressing the button, it means the switch is stuck. It's acting like you're holding the button when really you're not.

Try shooting some WD-40 into it and tapping it a bit to see if you can get it freed up. If that doesn't work, look for a replacement.
What if unplugging it doesn't stop it? Should I check the wiring next?

·
Ace Tuner
2,933 Posts
Now when I hook up the battery no key in, the starter starts trying to spin the motor and doesn't disengage
I would think the start button should be out of the system with no key in ignition switch.
Unless the ign. switch and start button or solenoid are bad, both at the same time???
Could the solenoid be wired in such a way that the heavy wire (cable) coming from battery is touching the wire going to starter motor?

S F

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I have an update. Yesterday I was too excited to ride to post sorry for being late. I had a pinched wire in the harness. Previous owner did some screwing around and put stuff together wrong, I wound up flipping the ecm because I noticed in some other people pictures mine was upside down. Pulled the panel for my fuses and hooked the battery up to see what would happen clIcked and nothing. So I hooked everything up hit the starter and it started fine. Looked in the harness turned out a wire was pinched and was shorting it out. Runs great now put about 90 miles on yesterday

·
Shadow Moderator
1,613 Posts
Glad you found it, and glad you let us know. That will probably be helpful to somebody else in the future.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,354 Posts
Great news, glad you are on the road.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts