Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned this bike going on 2 years and it's a little old and is in need of the occasional TLC.
Recently I noticed that when I stop for fuel and I open the fuel cap a rush of air sucks in.... so now I have been stopping every 50 miles or so and letting air in.

Do these tanks have a breather on them or is my fuel cap need replaced?

Thanks for any input you might have..

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is the fuel cap on in the correct direction?
Does the bike have a Vaportaive emissions system?
Have the fuel lines in the tank been replaced ? ( has to be BMW line, Oreally auto or Vatozone do not have the correct fuel hose the exterior of it will dissolve)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is a correct direction for the fuel cap?

I do not know if it has that

and no the lines haven't been replaced. they are most likely original.

·
7,443 Posts
I had a near new 1999 K1200LTC and absolutely loved it. it was actually as good or better than my 2012 Goldwing in many ways.

I have heard of injector snap together fittings leaking due to age.

All tanks have a 'vent' system, so I'd check to make sure the vent hose hasn't just cracked at the uppermost point and has become more noticeable.

One little tiny drop of gas can make a huge smell and worry a person. I think I'd have it checked out by a BMW dealer or take some Tupperware off and look around for the problem.

Sam:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
some times the direction of the fuel door does matter very much on the K75 and K100 the door opens to the front of the bike. some people will turn it around so its easyer to fuel while on the bike then the tank wont breathe because they tank vent is now obstructed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts