Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a 97 Suzuki Bandit for a customer with a worn out engine.. needs new rings, most likely the bottom end (crank checked and re-balanced, new bearings, cylinders honed, new rings, etc..) as well as all valves, valve seats, springs, etc in the head replaced and the head checked as well.. has no compression..very very low readings and the cylinder leak down tests were very high leakage.. so basicly a complete overhaul is necessary.. we are trying to determine if rebuilding it is more cost effective after parts and machine work versus replacing the motor with a low mileage used one.. but I read on another forum but couldn't get more info on it, that we can take a 95 to some 06 (but i would think no newer than 01 because of the switch for some models to the fuel injection) gsx, gs, 600, 750 or even an 1100 motor from something keeping its original carbs and should be able to just drop it in with very minor mods to make it work.. if he can go with a bigger motor or even one the same size for a used one for much less money, then he is open to that.. any truth in any of these claims? i have called all my local dealers and motorcycle shops to verify, but none of them have tried it and couldn't tell me anything.. as usual, the dealers were the most useless. any verifiable help here would be great!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you are correct, on the last post.. i am helping a friend.. i am an ase certified car mechanic, but work on my own bike as a hobby as well as help friends out on the more minor work on bikes.. just to keep the liability to minimum. i haven't actually seen the bike or parts, just what i was told.. i don't know these older bikes well.. i ride a yamaha r1 and a newer one at that.. not these old school oil cooled bikes.. just not my taste or style.. nothing wrong with them, just not my flavor. i am doing this as a favor, and not getting paid a nickel for the "research", so am not going to invest a bunch of time matching numbers.. he actually had a printout from a thread on another forum which is what i was questioning here what i read on it.. about being able to take a range of years bike motors that may fit his bike.. just trying to help a friend, so go easy on the trash talking there.. lol

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh, i did price out ALL the parts for a total rebuild of his original engine, compared those prices plus a fair labor rate and compared it to the cost of a low mileage used complete motor i found plus a fair labor amount to r&r it... the used is by far cheaper and much easier a task.. cheaper by about $1500 in fact.. i proposed that idea and it is the direction he is taking..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.