Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Gone.
17,927 Posts
" Unless you know how to mic and blueprint a motor, you may be in way too deep."

Yeap. And like Z9nine said, if he's asking on an Internet forum, it's pretty clear he already is in over his head.

Now, after reading his post, I think there may be some important point that I'm missing, and there just might be some serious Internet fog here, so maybe this all isn't as hosed up as I think it is. Did he take it to a hack that told him all this stuff?

But a few questions did pop up, like: How does he know the crank needs to be balanced? How does he know that the bearings are bad, if the engine hasn't been dis-assembled? And okay, the CLT is a fail, and from that he knows that the valve springs and seals and seats all that need to be re-done? I mean, really?? You can tell the condition of a valve seat without taking the head off and looking at it?

My guess is, that the original poster is helping someone with a bike, and he had some "wrench" somewhere take a look at the engine either give him a worst case scenario, or try to sell him a bill of goods based on guesses.

·
Gone.
17,927 Posts
I wasn't talking cash at all, just pointing out that the original post didn't make much sense. But as I said, I realized there could be something I was missing, and as it turned out, there was. No biggie.

I agree with Castle. Sure, you can take almost any motor and put it into almost any frame, but if you're not experienced with that, and have a very good understanding of the components you're working with, it'll likely end up as a POS that at best won't run reliably, or at worst will get someone killed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.