Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a 97 Suzuki Bandit for a customer with a worn out engine.. needs new rings, most likely the bottom end (crank checked and re-balanced, new bearings, cylinders honed, new rings, etc..) as well as all valves, valve seats, springs, etc in the head replaced and the head checked as well.. has no compression..very very low readings and the cylinder leak down tests were very high leakage.. so basicly a complete overhaul is necessary.. we are trying to determine if rebuilding it is more cost effective after parts and machine work versus replacing the motor with a low mileage used one.. but I read on another forum but couldn't get more info on it, that we can take a 95 to some 06 (but i would think no newer than 01 because of the switch for some models to the fuel injection) gsx, gs, 600, 750 or even an 1100 motor from something keeping its original carbs and should be able to just drop it in with very minor mods to make it work.. if he can go with a bigger motor or even one the same size for a used one for much less money, then he is open to that.. any truth in any of these claims? i have called all my local dealers and motorcycle shops to verify, but none of them have tried it and couldn't tell me anything.. as usual, the dealers were the most useless. any verifiable help here would be great!

· Severed Head
462 Posts
I would say your cheapest option is to get a low milage used motor. As much damage as there is, a refurb on that motor will get costly quick. You'd have to have the whole block & head machined, resurfaced, and align honed. Not to mention hard parts like bearings, crank, cams, ect are probably toast too. Then there's the fun part of tracking down oversized bearings & possibly pistons. Unless you know how to mic and blueprint a motor, you may be in way too deep.

This is an almost absurd amout of wear. It's possible that a single failure somewhere internally caused all this, but neglect and abuse are far more likely. Either the maintenance hasn't been done...ever...or the someone flogged the holy hell outta it. If the cusomer has had this bike a while, be careful. They'll be back again soin, and be blaming you for the bike not holding up. I wouldn't encourage someone like that to swap in a larger motor, either. They need to dial back how hard they push this bike, or get a proper super sport to kill themselves on.

· What?
864 Posts
Truthfully if I found out my mechanic asked this type of question on a forum I would take my bike elsewhere.

You set the prices for labour and parts and know the cost for repair of that motor. You know the price it would be for you to find the new motor and the install cost. If you cannot look at part numbers to see what years match up kinda makes me think a bit. Pull up an IPB and see what part numbers match up, find said motor, compare cost of new motor and install to repair of old motor plus parts and labour costs. I see it as a pretty easy question to answer new motor would most likely be cheaper. New motor and install would be cheaper than just labour on old motor.

· Gone.
17,927 Posts
" Unless you know how to mic and blueprint a motor, you may be in way too deep."

Yeap. And like Z9nine said, if he's asking on an Internet forum, it's pretty clear he already is in over his head.

Now, after reading his post, I think there may be some important point that I'm missing, and there just might be some serious Internet fog here, so maybe this all isn't as hosed up as I think it is. Did he take it to a hack that told him all this stuff?

But a few questions did pop up, like: How does he know the crank needs to be balanced? How does he know that the bearings are bad, if the engine hasn't been dis-assembled? And okay, the CLT is a fail, and from that he knows that the valve springs and seals and seats all that need to be re-done? I mean, really?? You can tell the condition of a valve seat without taking the head off and looking at it?

My guess is, that the original poster is helping someone with a bike, and he had some "wrench" somewhere take a look at the engine either give him a worst case scenario, or try to sell him a bill of goods based on guesses.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you are correct, on the last post.. i am helping a friend.. i am an ase certified car mechanic, but work on my own bike as a hobby as well as help friends out on the more minor work on bikes.. just to keep the liability to minimum. i haven't actually seen the bike or parts, just what i was told.. i don't know these older bikes well.. i ride a yamaha r1 and a newer one at that.. not these old school oil cooled bikes.. just not my taste or style.. nothing wrong with them, just not my flavor. i am doing this as a favor, and not getting paid a nickel for the "research", so am not going to invest a bunch of time matching numbers.. he actually had a printout from a thread on another forum which is what i was questioning here what i read on it.. about being able to take a range of years bike motors that may fit his bike.. just trying to help a friend, so go easy on the trash talking there.. lol

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh, i did price out ALL the parts for a total rebuild of his original engine, compared those prices plus a fair labor rate and compared it to the cost of a low mileage used complete motor i found plus a fair labor amount to r&r it... the used is by far cheaper and much easier a task.. cheaper by about $1500 in fact.. i proposed that idea and it is the direction he is taking..

· Severed Head
462 Posts
Sorry if we seem cold. I'll try and rephrase your post in car-terms. Maybe you'll understand the reaction you got that way.

"My friend just brought me a 1.6l civic. It has a header, exhaust, and cold air intake. The rings are toast, the bearings are shot, and the valvetrain is gone too. He read somewhere that the 3.0 drivetrain from the NSX will fit in there. Is this possible? How much work would be involved?"

Ideally, you would advise your friend to not thrash an economy car, and if he insists on going fast get something that was intended to do so. Swapping engines in bikes can be risky business. Weight balance is far more critical on a bike than on a car. Creating some frankenstein monster that was never meant to be will likely result in an unstable pos, and is a good way to get someone hurt or killed.

· Gone.
17,927 Posts
I wasn't talking cash at all, just pointing out that the original post didn't make much sense. But as I said, I realized there could be something I was missing, and as it turned out, there was. No biggie.

I agree with Castle. Sure, you can take almost any motor and put it into almost any frame, but if you're not experienced with that, and have a very good understanding of the components you're working with, it'll likely end up as a POS that at best won't run reliably, or at worst will get someone killed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.