Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting the carb put back into my 96 Savage tommorow. Had a problem with it pouring out gas because of a bad needle and carb being a bit gummed up. Everything set back to specs. Hoping and praying that it solves the problem. Bike has been sitting for over a month now.

The only other problem we have with the bike is it is leaking a bit of oil, but once you run it for a while it stops leaking. I can't tell where it is leaking from, but seems to be starting in the middle of the motor and running down the fins. If it was your bike, would you buy the whole gasket kit? Or just wait till you find out where it is leaking and just changing that gasket?. I figure the age of the bike it's not going to hurt to do them all. The bike hasn't been ridden much by its previous owners, only having 13,000 miles on her. I know with cages, if you rebuild just the top half, the bottom half usually blows out. Is it the same with bike engines? I won't be doing the work myself, being the type of person who can mess up a spark plug. my backyard mechanic will be doing the work.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Any gaskets that have to come apart while getting to the leaking one should be replaced.

It's a fairly simple engine design, it shouldn't take long to find the culprit.

I come from the school of: If it isn't broke don't fix it. I wouldn't replace a gasket that isn't leaking.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm so happy to have her running again! She's running better than ever now. I hope that fixing the carb solved the gas leaking issue. A couple of days of road running will tell whether or not its fixed. Other times we thought we had the problem solved, it would run great for a day or two and start back up. The only other thing it could be would be the petcock.

I talked to my mechanic and he said to not buy the whole kit, he'll take it apart, find the culprit and just order what he needs to. I just know how much he hates to chase parts, so I thought it would be easier to have the whole kit.

Now my homework is to chase down the spec sheets for the motor so he has something to go by if he needs it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts