Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some may know, I recently undertook (well not me, a friend) replacing a head gasket in my 96 Savage. We have had this strange noise start after the rebuild, almost like a chain or something is loose and is slapping on something. the noise seems to diminish as the revs go up, but it could be we just cant hear it as much. The sound is coming from where the oil filter is. We did do an oil change and filter change, we double checked that the filter was in right. We never had that whole side cover off (Right hand side), only the other side off (left hand side). The chain is on the left hand side I do believe. We are just stumped at what is causing the noise, as it does not seem right at all.

I wanted to try and take the filter out and see if the noise goes away, but am not sure if that will hurt the bike or not. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should be checking for? We never messed with that part of the engine, the only thing done is the filter in the small cover.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eek, I'd have to ask my buddy, cause I don't know the answer to that...I do believe it does, but I'm not completely sure. I know we where especially careful not to drop the chain when we where taking the top part of the motor off.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Don't eat Kong....

The noise you are hearing is probably the timing chain...
these cheap oriental chain holder thingys are prone to sticking, My old honda was like that, I went out mad, smaked it with a 9/16" and it popped back in where it was supposed to be.

...sortuh...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found our little gremlin friend. Took the cover off and the chain tensioner fell right out. Problem fixed.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even a squirrel finds a nut every now and then!! We even solved the oil leak. One of the head bolt o-rings where pitted. Bit the bullet and just ordered new head bolts, usually do that when doing car engines, so why would a motorcycle be different?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts