Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to buy a 1996 Suzuki Katana 600 for $500. It's got 39000 miles and the carbs need new jets. Just wondering if this is a good price, I may even consider flipping it.

Thanks

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
At that price, I would be worried that there might be more problems with the bike than just clogged jets. What condition is the plastics in? Condition of the forks, tired, brakes, ect.

Lastly, I have seen some instances where it seemed the bike might be a hot deal of another sort, the kind of hot called stolen. Be careful, and make sure to check things out before buying.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
If it's on Craigslist, run!

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
What he said^^^^^. lf it is on CL and it is still available, then there is something wrong with it. Sounds like a good parts bike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
At that price, I would be worried that there might be more problems with the bike than just clogged jets. What condition is the plastics in? Condition of the forks, tired, brakes, ect.

Lastly, I have seen some instances where it seemed the bike might be a hot deal of another sort, the kind of hot called stolen. Be careful, and make sure to check things out before buying.
I haven't gotten to look at it yet, but he says it runs well, has an excellent motor and new tires and battery. He called it a 'mechanic special'. He has a title, it was originally $600, I'll would offer him $450 or $500. It is on CL, but if he's got the paperwork and I can't find any problems should I go for it?

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Needs new jets but "runs well." If it needs new jets, it may have ran well at one point, but if the jets aint metering fuel properly, then if it does run, it will be poorly. It definitely sounds like a "mechanic's special," and unless you have plenty of mechanical experience, or have friends who are willing to help on the cheap, this may prove to be more of a headache than it is worth. (I know from experience.)

Also important to remember is that getting the needed parts will add to the expense.

I personally would recommend passing on this. The only reason I would go for a bike in this condition is if I had a specific goal that required that specific bike.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
In my neck of the woods, Mechanic's Special means some mechanic just wants to get it off his hands cause he's either tired of working on it or cannot figure out what is wrong with it. I brought my 96 savage with around the same mileage. I think I probably put as much money into getting it in better running condition as I did buying the bike. Sitting bikes, or bikes that don't get driven alot tend to go to rot so to say. I'd be skeptical unless you don't mind wrenching.

·
8,579 Posts
That isn't a good price at all but I do like your idea of flipping it----off a cliff:)

Sam:biggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts