Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum
Last weekend I bought my first bike, a 96 Bandit 600, and I love it.

I've run into a few problems that need attention, and I don't know what to do.
-Oil light
-Rough idle

1. When the engine is off, the oil light appears on. When I turn on the bike, which sometimes requires choke (sometimes doesn't), the bike will soon be up to good idle rpms (about 1k).
I ran a highway trip about 80 miles yesterday flawlessley, until I was riding through town, down shifting to a red light, and the bike cut out on me. Oil light on. Engine off.I'm running with 5w 40 synthetic oil right now, it's at a good level.
Possible problem could be the kickstand sensor, however it wouldn't make sense as to why this wasn't a problem with bigger bumps on the highway.

2. I have a rough idle. While i'm writing this I have my bike idiling behind me, and it seems to be getting better. I think it may have been bad gas, I just topped off the tank at a new station, hopefully this solves the problem.

Any help would be great.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
The oil light sounds like normal operation - it should come on when the engine shuts off. I think the question is why did it stall on you, and this might be related to the rough idle.

Run a bit of injector/carb cleaner through it and see if there is any improvement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts