Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, im new to the forum, but looking forward to posting here.

i just had the opportunity to buy a 96 suzuki bandit (600) for 600 bucks. the guy who had it replaced the headlight, and after that, the bike wouldnt start. it won't click or anything when the button is pushed. the lights, indicator lights, and turn signals all work, but the horn doesnt, however, im not sure if it ever did. i was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how i should go about fixing this thing, i have a full garage and set of tools but no real experience with motorcycles. i had planned on this being my first bike. does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Check the kill switch first. Its a common mistake.

If it still doesnt start, check the voltage on the battery. Sometimes it will have enough juice to light the lights, but not enough to start it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input. i checked the kill switch and the battery already, i think the problem is in the solenoid. but im not sure how to test it, and i dont really want to go out and buy a volt tester. im heard something about hooking the battery up to the solenoid to "jump" it? such as a way to start the bike without the key?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
There should be 2 posts on the solenoid. One comes from the battery.One goes to the starter. If you short between the posts with a screwdriver,the starter will crank. Do not make a habit of this to start your bike as it is for testing only [Sparks May Fly]. Keep in mind that the bike will still not start unless the ignition switch is on
Let us know what happens

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
also with any Suzuki you have to have the clutch lever pulled in, otherwise no juice....make sure it's in neutral, Suzuki's have a safety feature, if it's in gear and the kickstand is down, it will not fire, although it will fire in gear if the kickstand is up.....might want to check the kickstand safety switch

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the posts guys. i did short the solenoid, and the bike started :) . sounds beautiful. anyways, that narrows it down to the solenoid being bad, the clutch switch being bad, or the kickstand sensor right? is there anything else that has causes theses symptoms?

edit* so, if the bike in neutral, the kickstand doesnt matter?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Test the solenoid

See if you can find 2 little wires coming from the solenoid. If you can.take a battery charger, and connect the leads to those little wires. Set the charger on 2 amps or so and it will not get any wires hot. If it does not work the first time,reverse the polarity of the leads and try again
If it doers not operate the solenoid at all ,the solenoid is bad. Tell us what happens,and then on to the next step.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
10/4. the only problem is the bike is at my buddy's house, so i can only go there when he's there. ill try that, and also, i bought a volt tester, so ill test the clutch switch and kickstand switch. thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I just saw this....if the bike is in gear and the kickstand is down, it will not start (most Suzuki's at least) but if it's in neutral then it will...also if you pull up and put the kickstand down while it's running, it will kill the engine....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey y'all. im trying to get thid bike on the road, but im having trouble mounting the headlight. does anyone know where i can find schematics or installationional diagrams for the stock 96 suzuki bandit? (hopefully free.) same deal with the electrical system. thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey, update y'all.

i got to my bike, and was checking out the clutch. whatever sensor mounts in there got left disconnected by the guy i got the bike from. when i found and bridged the sensor, the bike cranked. unfortunately, whatever part fits into the clutch to connect the terminals on the sensor was lost when he worked on it. does anybody know what part i will need to replace for that? also, im having some small trouble connecting the headlight, as the guy who had it before me clipped the connections on the wires to try and install another headlight. i got the light jerry rigged to light up, but i need to find a three pronged connector for it. its a 96 suzuki 600 bandit. if anyone knows where to find parts lemme know please. thanks y'all.

ride free, and safe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
update!

i have found the problem. for anyone else with this problem, try connedting the terminals on the starter solenoid. if the bike cranks, then there is a problem leading up to the solenoid. for my bike, that meant either the starter button was faulty, the clutch sensor, or the kickstand sensor, or the solenoid itself. all i had to do was replace the connector in the clutch. 5 dollar part.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.