Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently rebuilt the carb; new needles, jets, and gaskets. Fixed my flooding issue, but now the bike will start right up and run perfectly fine on the side stand, and as soon as it is set upright it stalls. I dont want to believe it is a carb issue, but has anyone had this issue before?

·
Ace Tuner
3,578 Posts
Could be that the fuel level is set a little too high. If it is set kinda high fuel could "slosh around" in the carb when picking the bike up off the side stand causing a rich condition from minor flooding because of the slosh.
If the fuel mixture screw is set a little on the rich side that could help exaggerate the rich condition.
I've seen in-line four's slow in idle speed after you 'shake' the bike from side to side when the fuel level is only a little high.

Let us know what you find....

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
It stalls as soon as the bike is upright, with the side stand still down? Or it stalls as soon as you lift the side stand?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It stalls whether the kickstand is up or down. It gains a little idle speed and then stalls. Does not do this while leaning to the right.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
It stalls whether the kickstand is up or down. It gains a little idle speed and then stalls. Does not do this while leaning to the right.
Hold it. That makes no sense. Are you saying that if you have it leaned over, approximately the same amount as if it were on a kickstand on the right side, and you start it in that position, it idles fine and does not die when stood straight up?

Or it does not die when it's running and you quickly lean it to the right, avoiding straight up as best you can?

You got me confused now(not hard to do). Please clarify that statement..."Does not do this while leaning to the right".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@hogcowboy that was my mistake! It runs leaning to the left on the kickstand, then when stood straight it idles high and stalls. When attempting to start it as if the stand were on the right, it does not start at all, so there is no difference between it leaning right and standing straight up. As of this moment it will only run when leaning to the left.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
Okay, then that puts it back to what SemiFast suggest in post #2. I thought you had thrown twist into the problem which made no sense at all. Glad you cleared that up. It's confusing enough as is. I was thinking you might have a float level problem. But I'm definitely not a motorcycle mechanic and SemiFast is, so I'd listen to what he is suggesting.

·
Ace Tuner
3,578 Posts
Recently rebuilt the carb; new needles, jets, and gaskets. Fixed my flooding issue, but now the bike will start right up and run perfectly fine on the side stand, and as soon as it is set upright it stalls. I dont want to believe it is a carb issue, but has anyone had this issue before?
Did you find the problem? If so, please tell... :smile:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@SemiFast I think I did! Replaced a jet that was significantly shorter than stock and it now will run standing up, I just posted a new thread on the new issue lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.