Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I have a gsxr 750, one of my spark plug wires ripped so I ordered new ones and I put them on myself and new plugs too, it sounded good, but when I drove in highway I noticed it was misfiring like the rmps would drop for a split second the back to normal every once in a while, so it took it to a mechanic apparently the cables weren't in all the way and weren't making good contact with plug, he fixed it and when I drove it I immediately noticed the bike sounded way deeper and I had less power, last night after driving for a while I stopped and when I tried to start it up and go again it would just die when I let go of the throttle, and when I did start it I would hold the clutch in and give it gas to keep it on but the rpms would not go up and again as soon as I let go of throttle would die, I finally decided to turn on choke and that worked to keep it on drove home and haven't tried to drive since, I need help in solving the sound issue is that normal for it to sound different not that I got new cables?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Check your plugs, clean or replace them

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
If it literally got ripped off check the other end closely. May have cracked the plastic and you have spark jumping somewhere. And be sure the gap is correct on the plugs on the old or if you install new. I'm not familiar with that bike but ask if it requires some special wire and not just any copper wire.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Just sold my '93 GSX-R750. I had a similar problem once. No power, erratic idle, and had to have choke on to get home. Turned out to be a vacuum line under the tank had become disconnected. The vacuum lines are intermingled with the plug wires and fuel lines and a mess of other things under the fuel tank. Some of them are simply pressed onto a fitting with no clamp. It would be very easy to accidentally disconnect them while messing with plug wires. I recommend you lift the tank up and check everything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts