Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a93 fzr 600. Just bought it and rode to the store and back. Went to start it up later and battery was dead. I charged the battery and went to put it I'm and the second i touch the leads to post it trys to start with the key in off and also with the killswitch/run on the right side all in off. I unplugged the wires from the right side controls at the clip and it still trys starting. What could it be. When everything is in the on position the bike will start and rub but also starter is still running like the start button is being held down. Any help would be amazing

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
There is a starter relay between the battery and starter motor, somewhere. It will have two large cables, one from the battery, the other to the motor and two small wires attached. It sounds like yours is stuck on.

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
That looks like the right part; BTW, the starter relay is often referred to as the solenoid, though that's not technically correct.
I would guess the blue wire provides the ground that activates the coil inside to close the relay, so the high side of the coil (smaller red wire) may be connected directly to the battery. According to wiring diagrams I found online, it is. That means that if the blue wire is shorted anywhere to ground, it would run the starter motor all the time. Before replacing the relay, just disconnect that blue wire from the harness, and reconnect the battery. If the motor still runs, the relay is shorted inside, and needs replacement,but if it doesn't, you have a harness issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i disconnected the blue wire and it will still tries to start. So I'll order a new starter relay. hopefully this solvesthe issue. I don't look forward to a wiring issue(having dealt with them I the past). I'll keep posting updates. Thank you

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,544 Posts
I was going to suggest looking for a short as well. Please let us know when you solve the issue

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So just to double check i removed the starter relay and hooked up my battery. My bike didnt try starting itself. So i plugged in the blue wire and switch everything to the on position and touched the positive and negative to the terminals and bike started. Once it started i removed the leads and it runs. So it was definitely the starter relay. The part had been ordered. Thank you so much for the help. But i know my start button also needs replacing I hope it doesn't do the same thing to the new relay. Is it possibly to remove the button and just bridge the connections in there or maybe just get a push start button and do it that way?

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
A new start button shouldn't cost too much. But in the meantime you can bridge the connections in the existing button. Shorting the new relay/solenoid with a wrench will also start the bike (your old relay appeared to have been permanently shorted) though I'm unsure if doing so repeatedly can lead to damage.

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
Why does the start button need replacing? Unless the start button is stuck on, IOW: always grounding the blue wire, it didn't damage the relay. Easily tested with an Ohm meter (Voltmeter set to Ohms). The wiring diagram I found has the start button output wire passing through the 'main relay', so I suspect the relay switches the button wire to the blue wire of the starter relay when the key is on. For safety, verify there is no Voltage at the blue wire from the harness to the frame, when it is disconnected from the relay. Then, turn the key on and check again. If no Voltage, set the meter to Ohms and press the button; it should go near 0 Ohms, then go back open when the button is released.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Lesson learned, Do not try to start your bike with a low battery. It is not uncommon for some bikes to weld the solenoid contacts with increased current from low voltage. It probably welded the contacts on the last attempt to start it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ive installed my own push button start works fine. But now when i plug in head lights no power. Fuses are fine and when i run a wire straight to the battery from them they turn on. Could it be because the bulb in the clusters out?

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
I think you may need a good wiring diagram for this one, but, it could be the replacement start switch. For example, in my Suzuki Intruder/Boulevard and my Valkyrie, headlamp power goes through the start switch, so the lamp is off when cranking. If you can't get the old switch to work, and your new switch doesn't have a terminal that is connected when the switch is released (SPDT), you may have to add a separate on/off switch for the lights; they won't be automatic, but that's the way my old CB450 works, and I don't have any problems remembering the light switch on it.

·
American Legion Rider
26,039 Posts
Or add a switch for the lights. You might run out of handlebar if you keep adding switches to get around an issue in the wiring harness. But if you've proven they will work with a direct wire then a fused switch wire will get you going. But will it cascade to yet another issue? Wiring diagram might be the best option as suggested.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I agree with hogcowboy.. You need to solve one problem before creating others. I am pretty sure replacing the starter solenoid would have solved your initial problem. BMW's were famous for it but it is not unusual for solenoid contacts to weld in the start position if you try to start the bike with a low battery. A simple continuity test would have told you if the solenoid (relay) was stuck in the start position. If that was the case that start button you installed is pulling the entire starter load and will burn out in short order.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It wasn't.it only kept starting via start button. I bought new solenoid but same problem. So i used a push button works fine. I'm going to hook up lights straight too the battery with on/off switch just .temporary. I did put a bulb in the cluster and nothing when i flip the high beams switch tho either. Maybe because my blinkers are there it's just wires.i bought the bike for 500$. Needs work but everything else works.doesn't look pretty but runs amazing. I have had any problems with the blinkers the relay works and when touched to a bulb they work. Just the head lights don't

1 - 16 of 16 Posts