Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I can't post about crotch rockets here I'm sorry. If I can, please help.

I have a 93 ninja ex250. I think something is wrong with the carb on it. I left it out over winter, so when it got warmer I pulled the carb off and tore it down and cleaned it.

Now, I'm having trouble keeping it running. Before it was flooding, so I adjusted the floats. Now, I have to have the airbox off of it to get it to stay running and when it does it idles at about 4k for about 3-4 mins before dying. After that happens, it takes a bit to get it to start again unless I drip some starter fluid into the intake of the carb, then it runs for another 3 minutes or so. Sometimes it will fire right up. Either way it won't start at all with the airbox on, leaving me to believe maybe it's running lean? I set the air mix screws to the specifications, but is it possible I need to change it from spec?

I'm not familiar with carbbed bikes enough to know the cause of the symptoms I have.

· Save them all!
3,973 Posts
Welcome!

It sounds like fuel issues still. Make sure fuel is actually getting to the carb is sufficient quantity first. If it is the issue is likely still in the carb system - pull and clean again. When you're putting it back together make sure the carb boots and other rubber bits are in good shape and not rotted out.

Idle should be between 800 and 1100 on that bike.

If the bike is stock-ish use the factory specs for float level and idle mixture. It should run with those. If it doesn't something is wrong.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!

It sounds like fuel issues still. Make sure fuel is actually getting to the carb is sufficient quantity first. If it is the issue is likely still in the carb system - pull and clean again. When you're putting it back together make sure the carb boots and other rubber bits are in good shape and not rotted out.

How do I check it's getting enough fuel? After it stalls, I can drain the bowls and fuel comes out.

If the bike is stock-ish use the factory specs for float level and idle mixture. It should run with those. If it doesn't something is wrong.
How do I see if it's getting enough fuel? The bowls definitely drain after I remove the screws after it stalls out.

I figured because the air box had to be removed to start, it was getting too much gas and not enough air.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I pulled the carb back off, checked and adjusted the float levels again and reassembled. The bike is getting gas, I can tell by the amount of gas that drains from the bowls when I release the screws. This time, it wouldn't even fire up.

I also verified spark. I'm not sure what the hell is wrong with it. I know it's carb related, but can't pinpoint what or why. The factory manual says 2 1/2 turns out on idle mixture screws. Should I tighten them down more to see if it helps?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.