Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know this is more of a street bike based forum, but I can't find any answers and I'm lost on what's going on with my bike, so I hoped maybe one of you guys here could help me out.

So, I got this YZ from a buddy last month. He gave it to me with a clutch that doesn't work. When I first looked at it, the clutch cable was siezed up, so I bought a new one. Threw the new cable on, put the bike in gear, pulled the lever, and rocked it back and forth about, and nothing would happen. The clutch was locked up completely. I pulled it apart, and was looking at it, and decided to just pull the whole thing. I cleaned it up a bit, and put it back together, and the clutch still wouldn't disengage. I've taken it apart, and put it back together about 10 times lmao. I just cant find the issue. I checked all the adjustments, made sure the actuator arm was set correctly, but nothing worked. Now, my new issue. I pulled off the side cover, pulled the clutch plates, inner hub, basket, everything. Cleaned it all up, made sure all was well, and then put it back together according to the manual and microfiche. Now, the clutch won't engage. Its always disengaged. When it is in gear, i can hold the inner hub with my hand, and spin the sprocket, and the basket will spin, but not the inner hub.

Hopefully you're understanding how I'm trying to explain this. Seems like depending on the bikes mood, the clutch will either be stuck engaged all the time, or be stuck disengaged all the time. I have no clue what the hell is going on here lmao. I was thinking maybe it could be the plates, but then it wouldnt be stuck being engaged all the time would it? I'm completely lost here. It's definitely all put back together right. I've double checked it, triple checked it, checked it about 15 times actually lmao. This is my first bike, and the first wet clutch I've worked on. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, and I know what I'm doing, but I have no clue what to think about this lmao.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If everything is put together correctly, new clutch plates would be the only answer left.
Alright. Thats what I was thinking, but wasn't 100% sure. I'm looking into new plates right now, but I'm just totally stumped, to be honest. I wouldn't have immediately though that, because (at least in my mind) if the clutch sometimes wont disengage, then wouldn't the plates be okay?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could try to post pictures if I could get the permissions or post count. I'll be ordering new plates soon hopefully. The fibers look pretty beat, and the steels look like they might have miniscule amounts of warpage, but that could be my eyes playing tricks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New plates are on the way, should be here next Wednesday. Hopefully all works out. I'll write back if it doesn't, because this is the only forum that I've gotten any sort of response from. Hope to be a member of this community soon; I have some insurance money coming from being the passenger in a car accident a few months ago, so hopefully I can pick up a bike. Looking into an R6 or CBR600RR. Been a huge sportsbike fan for a while, so I hope to be around here again soon! Thanks for your help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts