Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking for a cafe racer project bike and I believe I found one, but of course, it isn't running at the moment. he said it was running 2 years ago but he never got around to finishing the project. he's asking $600. is that too much? shouldn't be that hard to get it started up again. from the picture he has at least two other bikes so maybe he just doesn't have the time? I know that I would have to check the compression of the cylinders when I take a look at it, but this would be my first project bike so I don't really know what is a good price to offer. He also has a 29 in. brown leather cafe racer seat and an extra KZ fuel tank. I have always wanted a bike like this but I'm not too familiar with this model. are they known to break down? is there anything I should know before buying it? any information is greatly appreciated,
Thank you.

·
Zip
2,522 Posts
My '78 Suzuki GS550 was rock solid reliable, except for one small thing. There was a casting imperfection in the top opening of the crankcase where it meets the cylinder block. Not enough metal there and the gasket started to leak. I replaced the gasket and added a little bit of goop at that spot to help it out, never had any more trouble with it. I put about 9000 miles total on the bike in the year that I owned it. Loved its handling, loved how quick it was off the line. 6-speed transmission with a very low first gear.

·
Visionary
5,272 Posts
It looks pretty cool, as long as you go into it knowing you are buying a partial project and understanding that you are missing parts and have no idea what your getting I'd go for it, show up, see if the engine turns and has compression, seems to shift OK, things like that.offer less money though..you might get a real deal.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
I am not completely comfortable paying more money for a bike that has less parts than a complete bike for less money.
The basic bikes in running order are fine.
UK

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi,
I think $600 is way too much to give for a bike that is not running. You need to think of what it is worth when you are done with it, and what it will cost you to get it there. Most of the time it cost more to get it running again, then what you can sell it for.
If you really just would like to have a bike like that go for it. but I would try to get it for a lot less than $600.
If you get it running right, it is a very good and very dependable motorcycle.
Have a good one ???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts