Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying that this is going to be more of a project than a restoration at this point. My goal is to get this bike back to the way it should be and maybe next winter a complete frame off job.

Here is what I'm starting with.
[/URL]

[/URL]
Doesn't look bad at first glance and it only has about 53,000km (35,000 miles).

Now for a closer look.
[/URL]
Clutch handle is broken and the switch is missing.

[/URL]
Choke knob is missing and the label is gone too.

[/URL]
Now what position is this switch in?

[/URL]
We seem to be missing something here.

[/URL]
Might be difficult looking through this.

Seat and side panels don't fit correctly.

Once again something missing.

A few scratches to take care of.

A little paint needed.

This just doesn't look right to me.

More paint needed and notice how the triple tree hits the tank. My guess is the tank isn't mounted correctly.

More scratches to deal with.

More paint needed.

Front fender mounting tab broken.

Something else broken to fix.

And as a backup project I've got this one waiting.

Disassembly starts tomorrow and there is no telling what else I'm going to find then. Oh well, I've got all winter to make it right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like some work, but it could be worse. Finding parts might be the hard part.
Yesterday I looked on Ebay Germany. Clicked on motors and did a search for FJ1200. There were only about 10,000 items. I ordered the clutch parts, mirror and the choke knob. It looked like there was just about anything I might need.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out that I was right about the tank. The C's that fit around the rubber bushings at the front was just sitting on top of them. The back was not even bolted down.

I managed to get all the plastic bits off and here is what it looked without them.

Very little rust if you consider it's 26 years old.

:coffee:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the point where I need some of the expertise out there. Does anybody know a reliable way to fix this?

I've looked at several on Ebay and they are all similar. Most of them say they are restorable. If this were made of metal I could fix it but I don't have any experience with plastics. I would really hate to have to put this back on in the condition it's in.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm a bit late commenting on your request for repairing your fiberglass damage.

I worked at boat repair shop one summer and we would build up the back with fiberglass "roving" material to add strength and hold it together. Then use regular fiberglass "matting" to fill in the cracks. Then sand everything down to the desired finish.

All that said, your material may be a hybrid type of "plastic" and requires a different approach to repair it.

My suggestion would be go to a boat repair shops and let them look at it. This is the slow time of year for boat repair and they may make you a deal to repair it for you.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
I've successfully repaired Vetter fairings using ABS Pipe Glue (black ABS plastic in a solvent suspension). I applied blue painter's masking tape over the crack, then I applied some ABS Pipe Glue to the parts, to fill it in. After the solvent evaporated, there was only solid plastic left behind.

I've done this successfully on three bikes: 1979 Honda CB750 with a Vetter Vindicator fairing; a 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD with a Vetter QuickSilver fairing; and on my 1993 Kawasaki Voyager XII with OEM plastic fairings, trunks, and saddlebags.

I've used the Pipe Cleaner solution, first, followed by the ABS Pipe Glue. The masking tape worked well to keep the glue from seeping through the cracks, on the finished sides, but it does not create a smooth texture. The tape did, however, pull off without issue, a couple of hours after I applied the glue. The repairs held up for years on the older two bikes, before I sold them. The Voyager has not had more than say 4,000 miles put on since the repairs were effected, but it, too, seems to be holding up just fine.

The ABS Pipe Glue was purchased from my local Ace Hardware Store, their brand, not the expensive name-brand, either. A can of each product (Cleaner and ABS Glue) will last you for quite some time. Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts