Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B5y9C0Kmo8

(warning: there's a loud tablet notification noise at the beginning of the video)I went ahead and made a video, my best guess is out of sync carbs, but I don't have the motorcycle knowledge to really make an educated guess, it only happens around 1,000 to 1,500 RPM.

Can anyone tell me what it is?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
It's really hard to say - noises generally are difficult via the net, at least for me. How many miles are on this and what size is the engine in the 88?

Aside from mechanical noises, it could be your advance mechanism isn't returning all the way, and you're getting a bit of knock at low RPM under load. That's really just a guess though, and you would have to check that with a timing light and compare things to the book specs. It sounds like my 1100 does when I accidentally lug the engine badly.

Just a wild guess, good luck with your search!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Ya, like when I'm slipping the clutch and I accidentally let the RPMs get way too low - the bike sort of knocks and chokes a bit. Just reminds me of the sound my bike makes when I do that.

187k is getting up there, even for a Goldwing. Are you sure it's not a mechanical noise, like a slightly worn crank or big end bearing? You might want to put an oil pressure gauge on it and see what you're getting at idle. Low oil pressure can be a sign of an engine that's getting a bit sloppy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, like when I'm slipping the clutch and I accidentally let the RPMs get way too low - the bike sort of knocks and chokes a bit. Just reminds me of the sound my bike makes when I do that.

187k is getting up there, even for a Goldwing. Are you sure it's not a mechanical noise, like a slightly worn crank or big end bearing? You might want to put an oil pressure gauge on it and see what you're getting at idle. Low oil pressure can be a sign of an engine that's getting a bit sloppy.
That sounds like what could be happening, I'm going to try giving it more gas and just keep the rpms higher as I shift and let out the clutch tomorrow, I'm wondering what rpm it should be at for each gear too.

I don't have the expertise for that, a certified place here does the full check up for 42 dollars, keeps the bike a whole week, I'll know then, but the previous owner is a mechanic himselc and it was his baby.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Try to find your owners manual, online search may help. It should give you an indication at what speed you should shift. When I first started out, I was slow getting into second, so by the time I finally got into second gear, my rpm's where too low and I started to lug. Learned to let the rpms get a little higher (not high enough to redline her)and then shift. That helped alot. I haven't caught neutral in a long time......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried higher RPMs and the sound seems to be gone, going to keep it above 3K when I shift from now on. Getting neutral on this thing is like finding the female g-spot, and the neutral indicator has apparently never worked on it.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Are you sure it's from the engine? Could it be a vibration in some of the plastic somewhere when the engine is lugging a bit?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts