Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1986 yamaha radian 600. I pulled the motor and put it in a dune buggy. I got it wired back up and it starts and runs but... as soon as I put it in gear it dies.

What I know:

I bypassed the kickstand switch (cut wires and tied them together). The motor won't even turn over without these wires tied together.
I bypassed the clutch switch. The motor will turn over, run and stay running no matter how I have these wires, (tied together or not).
I found what I believe is the neutral switch( wire coming from the motor right by the sprocket), the motor will start and run only when this single wire is plugged into the harness.
Nothing dealing with lights, speedo, tach, horn are hooked up, just unplugged from the harness.

Does the switch on the brake lever/pedal have anything to do with this?

I appreciate any input. Thanks

· Registered
64 Posts
The switches on the brakes are only meant to illuminate the brake light.

For the wire going to the sprocket, I believe that is your speedometer.

If you have bypassed both kickstand and clutch switches, only thing I can think of is improperly adjusted clutch cable or perhaps some bikes have a kick stand switch relay that might be faulty.

· Ace Tuner
4,927 Posts
You've bypassed the clutch and sidestand switches so those are probably not the issue although it would do as you say if the bike 'thought' the sidestand was down or the clutch lever was not pulled in.
Wait, maybe that's it.
Try unhooking (un-wiring) the clutch lockout switch wires. I believe that switch makes contact when the clutch lever is out, not pulled in.
Please let me know if that does it.

The speedo runs off a cable going to the front wheel on this machine so the wire near the engine sprocket should be for the neutral switch.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have started and ran the motor with the clutch switch wires both co netted and disconnected with the same result. So that makes me think whatever the clutch switch wires go to doesn't work, no big deal that shouldn't kill the engine( back wheels are off the ground).
I'm thinking it has something to do with the neutral switch in/on the motor itself. Can it go bad? It will let the motor start when plugged to the harness and not when its disconnected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.