Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new bike for us and we are still new to the motorcycle family. Sadly this has been in the shop longer than we've had it in our garage. First it was just rear brakes and tune up. We replaced battery and changed oil and filter ourselves. Got it home and within 24 hours it was leaking gas all over the ground. Back to the shop it went and had a full carb job done. Finally picked it up just this last Saturday and we both decided to take bikes (I ride a Rebel) out for our first ride together before the storm came. Sadly we did not beat the storm and decided to pull over under some trees. When we finally decided to get back on the road his bike wouldn't start. GRRRR. After waiting about 10 min he got it to start but then it died at the next red light and we had to pull over again. This time I had to go on home get the truck and we were able to jump start it but again it kept stalling. Hubby finally learned the art of it kick starting if it was still rolling cause it started dying while riding down the road. Thoughts crossing our minds. Is battery getting charged? Did rain have anything to do with it? (I was able to start it up today on its own after putting it on battery tender for last 2 days) Hubby tightened up battery connections when he got home and then theres the question about green and black wire connection that was not connected well and when I touched it it came undone, obviously not connected well. Not sure what this is but its near the battery and one side of it connects to the underside of the gas tank. Thoughts on what this is and could it have had anything to do with this weekends stalls? I have pictures but not sure if I can attach them here.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
You might check to see if this is the low gas light wire since it actually connects to the bottom of the gas tank. I'll try to check my 1985 Yamaha Maxim 700 tomorrow and see if it has a green & black wire there.

As for the stalling, it could be many things, but a word of warning about spark plugs. We bought a new set for my bike from the local Yamaha dealer and changed them out. My bike kept stalling. It was horrible!! We tried all kinds of things and finally put the old NKG plugs back in and immediately it quit stalling on me. Check your spark plugs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, Gas light is what I'm thinking now that I think about it. Last night did some youtubing and learned that it could in fact be either the rectifier/regulator or the stator. We are going to try replacing the rectifier first as it looks like an easier one to do and hope that's it but prepared to get serious and do the stator if it comes down to it.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I'd recommend testing the components before replacing them blindly. Its a lot cheaper to only replace parts that are broken.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I would also be checking the fuel line from where it comes out of the tank to the petcock. My '85 kept getting a kink in it. We finally replaced it with clear hose and put a small fuel filter in the middle of that piece. It is also clear and serves 2 purposes, we can tell if the fuel is actually flowing and it is a filter. Besides, if that fuel line is original it may all need replacing.

I agree with Dods, I'd be having things tested before replacing them. But 1st I would want to rule out any issue with the fuel. It's not unheard of the have to clean the carbs 2 or 3 times before actually getting them clean.

Good Luck & keep us posted.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It will be a nice bike when you get it running I had a XJ700X with the 5 valve per cylinder sport bike motor on it. I threw away the factory manual when I moved recently, couldn't keep 38 years of unnecessary clutter moving to a small house. With a bike of that age you really need to become your own mechanic or it's going to cost a fortune at the dealers. I would recommend looking for a factory manual if you can find one. You have quite a few years of neglected maintenance to catch up on. This forum might help, it's specifically for your bike: http://xjbikes.com/Forums.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts