Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the mistake of telling a friend that his first motorcycle was in great shape and that he should purchase it. I have since learned to keep my mouth shut as now I have to fix something that crept up during his first week of riding.

The head gasket of this fine motorcycle has started to leak on the left side; at least, that's what it looks like. The right side is clean. There is a nice streak of oil coming out of the upper part of the engine and there is a bit of white smoke (not very much) when the bike is revved high.

How should I go about repairing this? Should I pull the head and replace the gasket or is there some magic stuff I can pour in the oil that will seal it up for me? I'm looking to do the least amount of work since this isn't my bike and the owner's draconian sensibilities place the blame on me. Help!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Magic stuff is smoke and mirrors. NOthing in a can is going to make a needed repair. Get a manual. Rehearse everything that you are going to do (include adjust valves, etc) Get a gasket set. Get some permatex red rtv. Rub Budda's belly and get in there!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I have decided what to do with this bike. I will tell my friend that I will not fix it because I don't want to be responsible for the quality of the work done. If it was my bike I wouldn't have a problem tearing into it and breaking it beyond repair; sometimes you have to break stuff to learn anything.

He's going to have to suck it up and eat the loss. I'll bet he can recover a few hundred dollars on Craigslist or maybe make money if he parted out the bike on eBay. Either way, it's not my problem. I didn't break the bike and I didn't hold a gun to his head when he bought it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts