Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thread to show plans and mods I may/have preform(ed) on my new to me bike.

I'm a first time rider at the age of 32 and was given this bike to learn on and tinker with. I'm thinking of going for a bug out bike look on this thing one day. Maybe not so much storage but maybe something you might see during the end-times. A little storage, some hidden weapons, something from Mad Max maybe. My plan is to remove fender and cover bottom of my add on in sheet metal to act as new fender. Gives me a better place to mount rear lights to as well.

Here at some photos of the bike as she sits right now, what I'm modding and my drawing. Give me input or just a shout. I welcome it all.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, couldn't get the bend in the bars dramatic enough. Dont have a proper bender or torch tips to heat pipe while bending. I know it can be done but I'm not able to do it with what i have available to me. I have a couple other ideas I know i can do but i didn't think they would look as clean. I may try to find an original rear fender mount and build off that. Still learning and still trying!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure anyone's is reading this but at very least I'll use it as a build diary.

Took the bike to the welding shop I work at yesterday. I have the tank, fenders and the covers off. I removed the air boxes as I intend to use cone filters directly on the carbs. I have also labeled and removed most of the wiring harness. I intend to build some sort of electronics hull where the lower air box went, shorten the harness and I have two mini-kegs I plan to cut in half and use as side covers possibly. I'm thinking a flat sheet of 14 or 16ga steel shaped to the frame will mount nicely in the place where the old balls went for the side covers. This will give me a safe place to store the fuse box and maybe any extra controllers or keyless on switch I may install in the future. I'll try to remember to take some pics Monday and I'll be posting pics of the fender I'll be building, the side covers and electronics hull during build and throughout.

·
Ace Tuner
3,772 Posts
A Mad Max bike, I like the idea. :thumbsup:

Nine cables......
Most (or all?) Intruders of that era used nine cables (including choke cables) to operate those two different carburetors.
A guy has to really understand what all of those cables do and how they do it in order to get the slow and high speed carb synch set correctly on those bikes.
The reason I mention this is because if you do away with the stock air boxes you will need to re-tune those carburetors and that will mean pulling the carbs off to make adjustments and dealing with all of those cables .... several times.
It's not something a guy can't learn but it sure ain't the easiest set up to learn on.
Good luck with your project, happy trails and keep us updated. :smile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts