Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got my permit and first bike, a 1985 Suzuki GS300L and have been practicing riding. Everything seems fine for the first mile or so, but after more than 5 minutes I notice it starts to lose power and when I stop the oil light and side stand light start flashing and the engine acts like it wants to stall. I check the oil and the level is fine but the dipstick is burning hot. is this normal? I did take out the air box due to it being infested with mice and I added a couple of generic "K&N" style filters to the carburetors. My hypothesis now is that it's taking in too much air and running too hot and maybe it needs the restriction of the original air box? would flashing oil and kickstand lights and not wanting to stay running when it's hot be an indication of overheating? Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Biker
1,634 Posts
O.K. so the crank case has proper amount of oil, good. Seems like bike has a safety switch hooked up to kick stand, and if 'UP and bike is in neutral, that may be the problem. Some bikes are that way, side-stand must be down and tranny in neutral to complete circuit to starter and ignition. Lots of mice, and you are a guy? 'Of Mice and Men', no that's John Steinbeck, I don't know if he ever rode. Wondering if some mice turds slipped into carb? little brown or black things an 1/8 of an inch. Could be intake manifolds and/or gaskets? spray carb cleaner near those spots, if idle goes up, yeah there is a manifold air leak, making engine run 'Lean'. K&N make good filters, u say you have a generic? that should still be good but make sure all air going to carb, goes through air cleaner.

Oil lights it seems do not flash, if key is on but bike not running oil light would be on as there is no pressure on oil switch. To me anyway, the side-stand would be hooked up so its switch would/could be in series with neutral sw.and starter solenoid or relay to complete circuit so that when you thumb starter sw. starter would work.You say, "And when I stop, the oil light and side-stand light start flashing and engine acts like it wants to stall." When you stop do you mean 'NOT MOVING?' or did you shut down the engine? because with key on 'ON' and side-stand up it makes sense, oil lite on and side-stand is up so by flashing I think it means to put stand down. I guess it is possible oil light could flash due to some gizmo that makes it and side-stand light flash, but when engine has proper amount of oil and running I doubt it flashes. I think the side-stand switch would only be in use before bike is started, once running, it would not be needed until bike has to be re-started.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep crankcase has proper amount of fresh oil. I took both carbs off and cleaned them. what I mean by "When I stop" is, like if i'm at an intersection not moving not shutting the bike off. I stalled at an intersection last night. only other thing I can think that's making those lights flicker is the RPMs are dropping low enough. it idles fine when it's cool, but when it's been ridden for a while it doesn't want to idle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.