Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
I just bought a Sabre 700, the bike is old, has about 23000 on it, but kept in relatively great shape. I already replaced the master cyclinder for the front brake and a gasket on the clutch's slave cylinder, it runs great and everything. Only problem is that I can't push it around, especially when I'm sitting on it. Neither I nor any of my friends can, some of who are very experienced riders. It feels like the brake pads are rubbing against the discs or something, but when it's ridden it doesn't feel that way at all. Any advice? I am getting sick of wrestling it around everywhere, I just want it to roll smooth.
Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Will the front wheel rotate free when it is jacked up off the ground? Squeeze the brake lever then let off and try to rotate the wheel. If it won't rotate easily tap one brake caliper and try to rotate the wheel, squeeze the brake and tap the other and try to rotate the wheel, then if needed, squeeze the brake and tap both calipers then rotate the wheel. This should tell you which caliper is sticking, or both for that matter. You may find you have one or two dirty sticky calipers that need at least cleaned out or rebuilt. Dirt gets in around seals, espeicially if a bike has been pressure washed in and around the brakes, causing light corrosion or just plain dirt on the caliper pistons or bores not allowing the pistons to return easily. They may return adequately when riding, but not when pushing. That's where I'd be looking first if my test shows problems there.

If the rear is a disc brake (I thought the 700's were drum, but I forget) do the same thing there. The caliper can be dirty there too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will try this as soon as I get some time and it stops raining here, no garage...:thumbsdown: and I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats it, I put it up and the front wheel wouldn't turn. tapped it with a rubber mallet and voila, instant success. Thanks for the help, ill be taking apart the calipers this weekend and fixing them up! and the rear brake is a drum brake, just in case you were curious.
thanks!
nick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts