Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals!
Quick intro on me, Im 21, been riding since Im 13. Currently have this bike and a 2003 Honda VTX 1800. I'm cheap and like to do everything myself, (even if results aren't amazing) I still get the pride that I did it. Im from Mississippi and just love riding.

When I got the bike.

Traded a 77 Ford F-100 for it. I got the sour end but bikes are better so I'm happy.

After tossing a lot of parts, seeing what the possibilites could be.

Gonna cut it up and make a seat

Making a new wiring harness

Quickly got tired of being on the ground messing with wires so I made a quick table

Got the wiring harness done, playing with a new seat idea to hide my electronics.

Put this pan under the seat, set electronics in it and the seat fits over the top of it all. Maybe so?

I took the time to make a diagram of my new, simplified wiring harness. Feel free to use/share/improve, (if you do improve, just tell me so I can do it to mine!)

Cut the frame down, gonna go for hardtail, shaft drive.

Got tired of tools falling off my little table, so threw some catch shelves in it.
Also cleaning the motor up getting ready for paint.

This is where I currently stand and work is well under way.
Got a few parts coming on the way.

C

·
0 Posts
I wish I had the ability to do things like this. I am mechanically inclined but either do not have the time, tools, room, money, or patience for these types of projects.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CPulsar
Thanks for looking at the bike.
I'm going to try and help you get going at a build!
For Time, An hour or two a day may be slow rolling but it will get done!
For Tools, Buy one tool a week, it will build.
For Room, Throw a tarp down in spare bedroom.
Money, This is my biggest issue. I can't be of much help.
Patience, Buy an axe, when aggravated, cut firewood.

C

·
0 Posts
It is bit more complicated then that although I greatly appreciate the reply. :) Most of my time is either spent doing rentals, website crap, remolding, and everyday duties. For example, I just had an offer on a property and now need to deal with that because they wanted some things done in the written offer. It was a good offer so I took them up on it.

As for money, its tied up in property. As a matter in fact, with the sale of the property I just mentioned, I have to add profits to more property crap.

I don't know, maybe someday I will get to create something I want to create. As stupid as it sounds, one of the things I wanted to create was a 1975 Vega coupe with a V8, black in color, with a modified dash. A dream I have had for many years and know I can do it but have too much going on right now.

Recently, I did put a lot of work in to a 1987 BMW convertible which I sold for a decent profit. No not a dream, I happen to run across the car for a good price and felt the urge to do more with it. Sad thing is, I probably know more about that car then my own truck which I had for years. lol

Keep us updated on your bike, more will post about it. All of us like builds and such.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no experience with property. o_O except for cutting grass. ha. It does sound expensive. As far as that dream it may take years to even get to it but keep going for it man!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wont much be happening for a few days. Most parts expected to be delivered around the 25th this month. Until then im gonna focus getting the engine looking good. Havent tore into it, it ran strong when i tore it so ill run it for a while.

C

·
0 Posts
Wont much be happening for a few days. Most parts expected to be delivered around the 25th this month. Until then im gonna focus getting the engine looking good. Havent tore into it, it ran strong when i tore it so ill run it for a while.
By all means keep us posted. I am eager to see the end result. :thumbsup:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,830 Posts
+1 on watching the build, looks good so far

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's been cold but it hasn't stopped me from tinkering. Got some of the OEM parts in, final drive, rear brake hub and carbs (need to rob parts from them).
Here's my VTX staying warm.

Then I couldnt stand it. I had to get out for a bit. Rode down to the local pawn shop to pick up some 380 automatic rounds. Got those, browsed around just one minute to long. Saw this little 22. single action revolver with a great price tag on it. Dummy me leaves my money at the house so I ride back and forth in freezing rain but I got her. :D

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Great build! Nice work!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, so got most of my parts in. Just waiting on the tubing to complete the frame. Obviously the thing I need at the moment will be the last to come.
I tore this bike down about a year ago, was OTR truck driver for past 9 months so I was never here except a day or two a month. I'm starting to see that a lot of the small items have been misplaced. Time to rearrange the shop and see what fell into the darkest corners.

Got the tank and used my remarkable skills to paint it... :/
I don't want a showroom ready bike, nor do I want a rat job. Trying to find a happy medium which led to this paint job.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay guys. Been gone a while.
Started back working local so I'll still have the weekends.
And the weather has sucked!

Also, had to dig into the clutch on the VTX,

Made some bars, started out standing taller but suddenly realised it wasn't gonna work so turned them into rabbits. Ordered some sheet metal a few weeks ago, made a seat and I do plan to upholster it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Great Start!

I only have one thing to say...

if it ran when you got it, what did you do to it man?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First thing I did sir was throw a lot of parts over my shoulder into the black hole that lurks in my shed, secondly I plugged in the old grinder and went to town....etc...
Ha, no disrespect man. I wanted a bike that I built from the ground up and this is gonna be it. It's gonna be...one of a kind. And I know it's not everyones cup of tea but I like it. Frame, motor, tires..... that's about it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright guys, Progress continues slowly. Im in the process of getting everything figured out, Where to hide battery, ignition box and such. Staying away from ordering parts, trying to make everything as I go. My plan is to get her togeather, hear her run, then tear her back down to the frame for paint and cosmetics.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts