Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

I'm new here and I'd like to see if anyone has any thoughts on a problem I'm having with my bike. Here's a post where I describe what I've done to the bike so far to get it to the point its at:

When I purchased the bike it was in pretty decent physical shape. Needed cleaned up and some polishing, but no major damage or rust. The engine would turn over and sputter, occasionally running for about 10 seconds then stalling. Here is what I have done since:

-Rebuilt carbs and then when back and cleaned them a second time.
-New insulator boots that fit between the carbs and intakes.
-Drained all old fuel. Rinsed with new fuel. Has a couple gallons of 100 octane in her now.
-New fuel filter.
-New oil and filter. Measured 2.5 cups(!!!) of excess oil when I drained the old stuff.
-Drained and refilled coolant.
-New air filter.
-New spark plugs.

Alright, so now that I've got the bike running I'm having a problem KEEPING it running. It will start right up and idle with no problem. I can even ride it for a few minutes. But after about 3-5 minutes I'd say, the bike starts to bog down like its not getting enough fuel and then will eventually stall no matter how much throttle you give it. It will not start right back up but if you wait for a little while- I always give it about 10 minutes- it will start right back up. I've already tried opening the gas cap to see if maybe something is clogged and causing a vacuum to form in the tank. This has not helped. At this point I'm thinking maybe the fuel pump is bad or maybe the fuel pump relay. Also, my Clymer manual shows that there is a breather hose that comes off of the secondary fuel tank. Is it possible that a vacuum is building up in the secondary tank and that opening the top tank wouldn't expose/correct the problem?

Any thoughts on a solution or critique of these theories would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
83Magna

·
Banned
45 Posts
First of all, get rid of the 100 octane. These bikes are low compression and were designed to run best on 87, and they do. You can jump the fuel pump and do a flow test, and you can jump the relay to test that. When the bike shuts down, is there fuel in the filter? Also, do yourself a favor and download the factory manual. It can be had for free from http://thepit.shacknet.nu/honda/

Matt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Matt-
It was a dealer mechanic who told me to try the 100 octane as a way to clean out the fuel system. Do you think I'd be better off with 87 and some Seafoam or the like?
The fuel filter does have gas in it after the bike stalls.
How do I jump the relay?

-Ben

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright- I was going to hold off on syncing the carbs until I had it running right, but I guess I'll go ahead and do the valves and carb sync next. Thanks for the tips and I'll post again once I get all that done.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I havn't had a chance to work on the bike since last post but I started the bike up earlier and noticed something. There is a faint hissing noise near the carbs. I started looking and feeling around and found a hairline crack in one of the carbs. It is in one of the main carb bodies on the vacuum chamber end. It is almost invisible but by putting my finger over it I can change the pitch of the noise so I know this is where it is coming from. Like I said its really hard to see but I dont think it is very big. Does anyone know if this could be enough to cause the stalling problems I described originally?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I havn't had a chance to work on the bike since last post but I started the bike up earlier and noticed something. There is a faint hissing noise near the carbs. I started looking and feeling around and found a hairline crack in one of the carbs. It is in one of the main carb bodies on the vacuum chamber end. It is almost invisible but by putting my finger over it I can change the pitch of the noise so I know this is where it is coming from. Like I said its really hard to see but I dont think it is very big. Does anyone know if this could be enough to cause the stalling problems I described originally?
its def. not normal thats for sure. Does not sound like thats something that should be happening. Finding out how sensitive carbs are, it wouldnt surprise me if thats what is leading to the issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.