Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an 83 Sabre last spring. The bike has been sitting for a few years. I drained all the stinky old fuel, changed the spark plugs and the oil. Put a battery in, some fresh gas and turned it over. After a little while I got the bike to idle with the choke on. I allowed the bike to idle for quite a while and warm up. However the bike will die as soon as I give it some gas. I fiddled with the usual items, after a while I shook the bike to see how much gas was in it. The bike revved up as I shook it. I stopped shaking and the bike ramped down. So I started er...thinking. I shook the bike while it revved up and I killed the choke. Then I was able to rev the bike with the throttle. If I stopped shaking the bike it would die. I also found that when I dumped some fuel into the cylinders through the air box, the bike would rev up. So to make a long story short, I have a fuel issue. I thought there might be something in the tank or a bad fuel filter so I bypassed both of them having the fuel pump draw directly from a tank of fresh gas. The same result. I'm not excited too pull the carbs off of this bike and I'm not convinced the problem is in there but I'm running out of ideas. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Does that bike have a fuel pump? Not sure what that has to do with the shaking. Just a hunch I guess.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I believe that's a gravity-fed fuel system, but it sounds like you DO have an occlusion or partial block in either your fuel line or one of the breather lines to the carbs. Check to also make sure you don't have a LEAK in said lines. Fuel is easy to spot, but breather tubes deal with your idle and don't USUALLY have anything in them except vapors.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Ya, having thought about it more it sounds like maybe you have a load of **** in the tank that's blocking up the outlet area by the petc0ck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts