Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 83 V65 magna that will not start. I was riding in town, it was running fine. I stopped and ran in the store. When I came out and tried to start the bike up, it wouldnt. It would just crank and crank. I think it might be the ignitors, but what are the chance of both of them failing? This is my first bike and I would love to get back riding again asap! thanks in advance for your time.

·
Super Moderator
6,295 Posts
Maybe something simple like gas??? or if you have a reserve were you riding with the reserve open and used all the gas?

I would try that first...you may have already checked it...but...:biggrin:

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
When I came out and tried to start the bike up, it wouldnt. It would just crank and crank.
Sorry.....gotta do it........
Out of gas ??
Some dork passing by flipped the kill switch ??

After that, you're gonna have to start checking things......like spark, for starters. TOTALLY wild guesses are pretty much totally useless.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have checked all the obvious things. What are the chances of both igniter's going bad? Maybe the coils? Even though there were no issues before the bike was shut down? Im totally stumped, and its a bummer cause the weather has been crazy nice the past few days.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
I have checked all the obvious things. What are the chances of both igniter's going bad?
Are you saying that you are getting no spark.....anywhere ??
If that's the case, I'd be looking for a blown fuse or an open connector first.

If you ARE getting spark but still are asking about failed ignitors or coils......then you should seriously consider taking the bike to a shop......before you waste a LOT of money for nothing.

If you want help here, you're gonna have to supply some details.....because we aren't mind readers. What exactly did you check......and how ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry guys i should have been more clear. I am not getting a spark to any of the cylinders. I have checked this by pulling the plug out and grounding it to the engine. Nothing.
I have checked all fuses and ground connections thinking there was a bad one and have yet to find any. I got the bike about 4 months ago and replaced the coils that were faulty. It has ran fine up to this point in time. I got to thinking about it and maybe it is the alternator? what do you guys think? cause when I stopped and shut the bike off it was running fine and 10 minutes later I cant get it started, maybe the alternator died and was just getting power from the batt? just throwing ideas out.
Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Does your bike have any safety switches like the kickstand? Neutral gear? The kill switch was already mentioned. You might be getting to the point where you need to get a repair manual or rely on someone here having a bike similar to yours.
I do not know what the safety switches normally disable [the starter or the spark] because on my bike,the kill switch is the only safety switch that works.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have you actually used a voltmeter to check the fuses or just looked at them.
Have seen more that a few fuses that "looked" good but were not passing voltage through them.
Just my 2 cents

1 - 8 of 8 Posts