Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Magna for a steal. I want to give it a look similar to a cafe racer, what's the first thing I need to do?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I have that same bike. Cafe isn't going to work too well on it without extensive mods. The master cylinders are angled for use with the current handlebars, so putting them on clubmans won't work well. I put Daytona bars on mine, after I switched to new Nissin master cylinders. Since the choke cable is attached to the clutch master cylinder, I'm currently without a usable choke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a link for the master cylinders? And were they difficult to change out? I'm pretty new to the motorcycle world

·
Registered
543 Posts
As said above, 1st gen Magna's are almost impossible to turn into a cafe racer without extensive modding. Without cutting/rewelding the frame and custom manufactured trim pieces, you can get something that looks like it could be a cafe racer, but it will mainly be to your eyes.

The VF750/700 Sabre's lend themselves to it better, but this was an extensive mod and more of a street fighter look:

Of course, this pic is a photoshopped from a regular V65 Magna (no mod's done to the real bike, just in photoshop):

The biggest problem with making a cafe racer out of a Magna is the upslope on the tank. Just doesn't lend itself very well to the flat top look of good cafe racers.

Heck, keep her original as a daily commuter and find a good deal on one of the old CB750/1000's. Those bikes make great cafe racers as do the Triumph Bonneville's.

CB750:

Bonneville:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts