Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the head gasket and now my bike makes a clanking sound. I adjusted the valves already and used a screwdriver to listen to the valves while running and they are quietly clicking like they should. The cam chain is snug and has barely any play. Like 1mm. I just did an oil change and it has the perfect level.

Here is a video of the sound.
https://youtu.be/q_VPJSG9r44
Any help appreciated! Thank you!

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Exhaust leak???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My exhaust does leak but not where the header meets the engine. Would leaks really make it that loud though?

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Then I'm going to guess you have a worn valve. They did have problems with them, but I don't remember exactly what it was.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Did it make that noise before you replaced the head gasket?

Does the noise go away as the bike warms up? Or does it stay the same, or get louder.

Does the noise go away if you pull in the clutch?

Have you isolated the noise to any particular cyl. yet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if the noise was there before I replaced the head gasket. The bike was acting crazy with all the coolant leaking so I didn't really pay attention.

When I very first start the bike after it's cold the noise isn't there. But after maybe 20 seconds it starts.

The noise gets louder as I rev the bike.

I haven't checked the clutch yet because I drained it to check the slave cylinder and everything in there looks good. I haven't refilled it yet. I actually was reading about clutch issues and I was going to refill the clutch to test it but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I haven't isolated it but it does sound like it's coming from the right side. I could be imagining things though.

·
Registered
781 Posts
True. The more you look into it, the more you will be imagining things. I'm assuming the bike does not smoke or you would have said something.

Although it's hard to diagnose simply by a video, when you get the clutch up and working, start the bike and pull in the lever. Listen to hear if there is a difference in the noise or vibration.

Also, if you can get the bike up to operating temp, see if the noise goes away or diminishes somewhat. What I'm trying to get at here is piston or wrist pin slap.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
What? b.rand, and weigh oil do you run. What rating?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,301 Posts
That should be fine it is water cooled correct?

·
Registered
36 Posts
What did you set the valves too? Why did you have to adjust them, were they out of spec, did you ck for any abnormalities or wear in the valve train?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I set the valves because I thought that may be the problem. I set them to the manual specs. One valve was 2x out of spec. I've only been working on the rear head because that was the one with the messed up head gasket. The cams and lobes seemed fine. Not to worn, not pitted or anything. No weird buildup or discoloration. One of the rocker arms was a little more worn down than the rest but it was smooth so I just checked the clearance and it was fine. When I pulled the head off I checked the valves for leakage with some acetone and they didn't leak at all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Isn't there rubber parts to our valve train? That still didn't answer the question as the setting? What # did you set them to, have you done any work on the starter side of the bike if so did you thd lock the bolts?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Valves. 006 using 2 feelers, torque to 15-18lbs. Better loose than tight! I have a 84 V65! With 83 carbs,stretched 2" lowered 11/2 front with sporty shocks on the rear! With a KERKER! Runs like a bat outa hell!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Double check the cam chain tensioner. I recently did the same thing and the tensioner itself became lose when we put the motor back together.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts