Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an '83 nighthawk but the igniton is screwed up. I was wondering if there was a way to just wire the coils hot and bypass the switch and the kill button to start it without it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
What's so screwed up?

You could take the headlight ring off and drop the assembly out of the way and disconnect the switch wiring at that point, and then hot wire it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only problem is, the guy that had it first tried to fix it and fried the connectors that go into the box. I was looking for a way to maybe just jump straight to the coils and jump the starter or something along those lines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have tried to hotwire it and it just sizzles in that fuse box. I went around to salvage yards today and couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ouch!

I'm afraid someone is going to need to spend some diagnostic time on it.
Sizzling is not a good thing on a bike. On a grill, yes. Bike, no.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's sizzling because the connector is melted and doesn't make a good connection to the contactors. That is not my issue.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If you have a connector problem and can't find or get the OEM parts, replace the connector with a new pair of connectors, both male and female sides. It won't be stock but you will have something you can work with. Do you know that you actually have a connector problem and that is not just a symptom of bigger problems? If you are not sure you need to find out. Replacing parts never solved anything unless the part you replace is truly at fault.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice. I just can't seem to find one that is similar to it. That would fit in the hole it plugs into. I'm not sure if that is all that's wrong but its the first step in the process since it is the ignition switch.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I could rewire the whole thing if I wanted to but I can't find those connectors anywhere.
Try an industrial electrical supply company. Many times they carry a lot of old style connectors, or may know where to find them. Also Napa had a really good electrical wiring catalog.

As for hot wiring it, I don't think that is a good idea, but that is just me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts