Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I know what I need to do but just want to make sure. So I snatched the old fuel pump out and replaced it with a low psi edlebrock fuel pump and replaced all the fuel lines and new filter. Cut the key on and let the pump fill the bowls. It cut off, I spun the starter for maybe 20 secs and she fired up. Would only run with the choke all the way out. Idled for 2 or 3 minutes and died. Now refuses to crank. So I am thinking snatch the carbs and rebuild them. Please tell me I am wrong.

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
I suggest it started and ran shortly because of fuel it already had in lines and carb bowls. Are you certain the new fuel pump is actually pumping fuel? And why did you change it in the first place? Maybe the new pump isn't pumping OR isn't pumping enough for that bike. If not difficult I'd put the old pump back in and see if it wors as it should before I'd just arbitrarily pull the carb. Although, yeah, it's probably due. But if it was working fine before it should work now.

Reactions: Benjamindshoemaker

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suggest it started and ran shortly because of fuel it already had in lines and carb bowls. Are you certain the new fuel pump is actually pumping fuel? And why did you change it in the first place? Maybe the new pump isn't pumping OR isn't pumping enough for that bike. If not difficult I'd put the old pump back in and see if it wors as it should before I'd just arbitrarily pull the carb. Although, yeah, it's probably due. But if it was working fine before it should work now.
The lines had been drained because I re did the fuel system. Lines were dry rotted. I could never get it to run and barely had any fuel going to the carbs is why I swapped it out. Yes the pump is pumping fuel well and according to others that have had the same bike, it pumps more than enough fuel even at wide open throttle. When it was idling, if I gave it a little throttle it died. However with the choke out it would idle. Maybe the wiring to the fuel pump is going bad or the fuel level sensor(if it has one) for the carbs is bad. It hasn’t ran in several years and had gas in it when I got it so I am assuming that the carbs had gas and no they are gunked up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trust me, I would rather not pull the carbs on this one. Have heard they are a bear to get off and on

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
Sorry but if it sat that long you will most likely going to have to open the carb(s). You can try a long shot since it does idle. Try a heavy dose of Seafoam. I doubt it will work but worth a try. I would put a fan running on high in front of the bike to simulate rolling down the road so you get some cooling of the engine. Startron is another that might work but be swear by Seafoam and it has help me on occasion.

Reactions: Benjamindshoemaker

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry but if it sat that long you will most likely going to have to open the carb(s). You can try a long shot since it does idle. Try a heavy dose of Seafoam. I doubt it will work but worth a try. I would put a fan running on high in front of the bike to simulate rolling down the road so you get some cooling of the engine. Startron is another that might work but be swear by Seafoam and it has help me on occasion.
Yeah I will try it as I have had great success with seafoam as well but didn’t think about it. I doubt it will help but considering what it takes to pull the carbs versus trying seafoam, seafoam wins hands down

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well before trying Seafoam I decided to double check everything and noticed that one of the wires had come loose from the fuel pump (didn’t quite get the wire far enough in the butt connector) and a slight kink in the fuel line. I adjusted it and it revs up great quick throttle response but now won’t idle. Lol. Going to pick up some Seafoam tomorrow

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
That's great. Thanks for the follow up.

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
After reading about the dry rotted fuel lines, I was going to suggest a piece of rubber from the inside of the fuel line may have broke off and lodged itself inside the carburetor. Maybe it's why it won't idle properly now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After reading about the dry rotted fuel lines, I was going to suggest a piece of rubber from the inside of the fuel line may have broke off and lodged itself inside the carburetor. Maybe it's why it won't idle properly now.
Anything is possible. I’m going to try Seafoam first because I don’t want to pull those carbs unless I absolutely have too

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well she won’t idle now but giving her a little throttle she will idle. Actually got to make a lap up and down the driveway and around the house. So I am sure I will have to pull the carbs. Oh what fun. Lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts